|“Annihilation: Earth!, Part 2”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012 TV Series) episode|
|Original airdate||September 27,2015|
|Written by||Brandon Auman|
|Directed by||Alan Wan|
|Voice Direction||Andrea Romano|
|Supervising Director||Ciro Nieli|
"Annihilation: Earth!, Part 2" is Twenty-Sixth episode of Season 3 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012 TV series) and the 78th episode overall of the Series.
Just as Bishop warned, the Triceratons have begun their full-fledged annihilation of the Earth to wipe out its infestation by the Kraang Hive Mind. Splinter has no choice but to join forces with the Shredder to stop them, but the plan unravels as the Shredder's boundless treachery ushers in an even greater tragedy.
- April O'Neil (Mae Whitman)
- Bishop (Nolan North) (Death)
- Casey Jones (Josh Peck)
- Donatello (Rob Paulsen)
- Leonardo (Seth Green)
- Michelangelo (Greg Cipes)
- Raphael (Sean Astin)
- Shredder (Kevin Michael Richardson) (Death)
- Splinter (Hoon Lee) (Death)
- Tiger Claw (Eric Bauza) (Death)
- Bebop (J.B. Smoove) (Death)
- Fishface (Death)
- Fugitoid (David Tennant) (Debut)
- Mighty Mutanimals (Death)
- Mondo Gecko (Robbie Rist) (Death)
- Muckman (Grant Moninger) (Death)
- Rahzar (Death)
- Rocksteady (Fred Tatasciore) (Death)
Continuing from the previous episode, Mikey is staring down the barrel of a Triceraton's plasma weapon before he is rescued by the others. However, Captain Mozar arrives with reinforcements, and Casey and the Mutanimals are captured, but not before Slash is able to cause some severe damage to the Heart of Darkness detonator, disabling it for some time so it has to be fixed before the countdown can resume.
Mozar manages to capture Mikey, and takes him back to the Triceraton flagship for interrogation, but Mikey proves resilient to the Psionic Extractor, and his pleas to leave Earth alone because they hate the Kraang as much as the Triceratons do go ignored as Mozar tells him that the Earth's destruction has been decreed by the Triceraton Emperor, and his decree cannot be overruled.
Back on Earth, Splinter and April take the risk in asking for help from the Shredder. Infiltrating his lair, they are soon captured. As Shredder wonders why they are there, Splinter makes his plea to an uneasy truce to stop the Triceratons and save the Earth. Shredder only agrees when April reminds him that if the Earth is destroyed, he will never see Karai again.
With Shredder bolstering their numbers, along with additional allies that the Turtles befriended previously, the other Turtles are able to get aboard the Triceraton flagship and rescue Mikey before returning to Earth, while Casey is also rescued. However, as the repaired timer on the Heart of Darkness ticks closer to zero, Splinter, realizing he and Shredder are the closest and are the only ones who can stop it, calls for Shredder to help him, but before Splinter and Shredder can shut down the Heart of Darkness, tragedy strikes.
Shredder, seizing his chance to end his personal war with Splinter once and for all, murders Splinter in cold blood, allowing the Heart of Darkness to activate. Their mission complete now that the Earth was doomed, the Triceratons leave the Solar System, chanting "Long live the Triceraton Empire!" as they do. Back in New York City, the Turtles, April, and Casey mourn the loss of Splinter, while Tiger Claw calls out Shredder on what he has done in condemning the Earth to annihilation, but Shredder holds no guilt or remorse for his actions. In his mind, with Splinter dead, he has finally won and gained his vengeance.
Luckily for the Turtles, April, and Casey, a spaceship arrives, and the figure on board tells them to get on if they want to live. With no other choice, the Turtles, April, and Casey climb aboard, and the spaceship quickly departs as Splinter's body, Shredder and his minions, and soon the entire Earth, are sucked into the black hole, with the spaceship barely escaping the black hole's gravitational pull before where the Earth has once been, there is now nothing but a cosmos of stardust and silence.
On board the ship, the figure introduces himself as Prof. Zayton Honeycutt, and explains to the gang that they are about to set off on an incredible journey. Casey can only voice his excitement as the ship rockets off into the unknown.
- When the Heart of Darkness is activated, the black hole is shown to be directly above New York City. But in the shots from orbit when the Earth steadily disintegrates and collapses into the same edifice, New York is on the opposite of the planet from it.
- April is unable to save Rockwell and Slash from their bubble prisons before the Heart of Darkness is activated. However, after it is activated they are seen ascending into the black hole outside their prisons.
- Leatherhead and Rockwell's pose, seen seconds before the Earth was sucked into the black hole, was an homage to "The Creation of Adam", the most famous fresco painted by Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- Ironically, the Creation of Adam symbolizes the beginning of life, while this moment in the episode is actually when all life on earth comes to an end.
Tiger Claw: SHREDDER, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!