|“Big Bug Blunder”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||November 24, 1990|
|Written by||Michael Reaves|
In the Technodrome, at this point of the series located on an asteroid in Dimension X, Krang is working on duplicating the original mutagen when Bebop and Rocksteady try to stop a fly. The fly lands in the mutagen and it increases in size. Krang and Shredder send the giant fly to Earth via the dimensional portal. Krang and Shredder decide to use the mutagen to create large insects destroying the Earth if the people don't surrender.
Genghis Frog, one of the Punk Frogs, go by bus to New York City to visit the TMNT. When arriving in the city, he sees the huge fly and starts chasing it. Meanwhile, the TMNT are watching TV and see April O'Neil reporting about the giant fly. The TMNT take the Turtle Blimp to check it out. They end up rescuing Genghis from the giant fly.
In Dimension X, Krang and Shredder use the mutagen to mutate three new bugs and send them through the dimensional portal to Earth to keep the TMNT busy while Krang and Shredder work with their plan. Their scheme is to find an ant-hills and use the mutagen on the ants.
New York City is in chaos with the giant insects destroying the city. A mud wasp is building a nest on the Channel 6 building and a giant scorpion attacks the TMNT and Genghis. Just as the TMNT to trap the scorpion with the help of a truck, April radios the TMNT asking for help. Channel 6 are out of power, since the insects destroyed the electrical wiring, and the air inside the Channel 6 becomes tighter. The TMNT rescue April from the mud wasp nest and soon after, the wasp attacks them.
Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady arrive on Earth trough the dimensional portal and find an ant-hill. Thanks to Bebop and Rocksteady's "incompetence", Shredder accidentally spills some mutagen on an ant before Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady can run away in safety. However, Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady manage to escape from the giant ant and then they can return to the anthill.
The TMNT, April and Genghis Frog enter a hangar and borrow an airship, which normally is used at the Thanksgiving Day parade. They also borrow pesticide. The TMNT, April and Genghis Frog herd all the insects together by firing the pesticide upon the insects, but they can't figure out what to do with the insects until they see Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady. The TMNT, April and Genghis Frog lure the bugs fo follow after Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady through the dimensional portal before Krang is able to close it in time.
Krang, Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady end up with the Technodrome with all the insects that they had originally mutated and sent to Earth.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Genghis Frog (Jim Cummings)
- Hot Dog Vendor (James Avery)
- Turtles ' Lair
- Channel 6 building
- Construction Site
- City Streets
- Golden Glow Maple Syrup Factory
- Turtle Blimp
- Dog Parade Float Blimp
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Beyond the Donatello Nebula
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 4
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When the turtles are flying on the Turtle Blimp and see Genghis Frog hanging from the giant fly, Donatello says, "Isn't that Genghis Frog?" and Michelangelo says "Yeah! And it looks like he bit off more than he could chew." When Donatello's dialogue ends and Michelangelo's begins, Donatello's mouth continues to move for the moment the shot is held, and Michelangelo's mouth doesn't move at all for his entire line, including after the shot changes to a view right behind Michelangelo and Raphael.
- When the power to the Channel 6 building gets cut and Irma says "The power's gone out!" both her and Burne's mouths move. Immediately after this moment, Irma's ponytail disappears, reappears, and disappears again.
- When the Turtles drive away the giant scorpion, it approaches a gate and fence with a sign on it that reads "NO TRESTASSING."
- When Genghis Frog breaks through the window of the Channel 6 building and Irma says "Fresh air!" April's and Vernon's mouths move along with Irma's.
- When Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady escape the giant ant by ducking into a narrow alley, the first shot shows an entrance to an apartment or condo to the left of the alley complete with stairs, windows, plants in the windows, and a door, but in the next shot it disappears and the windows with plants in them have been moved further up the side of the building. In subsequent shots the entrance comes back and the plant windows are moved back down to head level again.
- When the chained-up giant ant is sprayed with the bug spray and starts to run away, the chain only appears around its neck and the rest of the chain that's keeping it held to the barricade disappears, although the next shot shows the chain breaking.
- After the mutant ant enters the portal, the abdomen part of Krang's android is coloured red.
- Near the end of the episode when Leonardo says "I think I'll go read a book," his mouth only flaps open for one frame and then stays shut during the rest of the line.
- Final appearance of Metalhead.
- This is the first episode in the series where one of the turtles retracts all extremities into his shell.