Some TMNT stuff was always meant for grownups.
The first part of City at War.
|Mirage Studios Volume 1 > Issue # 50|
|Previous Issue||Next Issue|
- Major characters: Donatello, Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Raphael, Splinter, April O'Neil, Casey Jones, Foot Ninja, Foot Elite
- Cover date: August, 1992
Splinter meditates in the woods of Northampton.
A Foot soldier plants a bomb in a New York City pornography shop.
An old man gets back to his ragged apartment, above the porno shop, and begins to watch the world news, which is filled with depressing stories.
Casey Jones is packing his bags. As he picks up a photograph of himself with April and the Turtles, he focuses his view onto O'Neil and then throws the picture angrily against the wall, breaking the glass of the frame.
April is startled awake. She's seated at an airport waiting area.
The Turtles prepare to leave Casey's farm in Northampton, Massachusetts.
April boards her flight to Los Angeles.
Casey finishes packing, but before he leaves, he picks up the broken frame and retrieves the photo.
The old man in the apartment eats his dinner as he watches the news.
Everyone is feeling isolated, upset and unhappy.
Cut to New York City, where we see a gang of Foot Soldiers beneath a bridge. As one advances, he is quickly slain by a Foot Elite who appears out of nowhere. The Elite proceeds to kill all of the remaining Foot, hunting the last one who flees to the City's rooftops. The retreating Soldier slips on the ledge of building, but is saved by the Elite. As the underling pleads for his life, the Elite beheads him with his own blade.
Casey fires up his Chevy and heads out.
April's flight lifts off.
The TMNT stow away on the roof of a bus, making their way back to the Big Apple.
Splinter continues his meditation.
The old man continues to watch the television, growing more morose as the news of the world appears to get more grim.
The bomb in the porno shop explodes, sending shards of metal, stone, glass and humanity into the night sky.
Splinter continues to meditate.
- This story is continued from TMNT (Vol. 1) #49. The story continues in TMNT (Vol. 1) #51.
- This issue the first issue to have art by both Eastman and Laird since TMNT (Vol. 1) #11.
- One of the joints in the adult district is called “Rick’s Dive”. “Rick’s Dive” was the substitute name given to Munden’s Bar in the second printing of the TMNT short “D’Ants Fever”.
- This issue also contained multiple pin-ups; the Mirage cast by the Mirage Studios crew (Eric Talbot, Michael Dooney, Steve Lavigne, Dan Berger, Ryan Brown, A.C. Farley, Jim Lawson, Stephen Murphy), the Turtles by Erik Larsen, the Turtles by Jim *something*, and Michaelangelo by Todd McFarlane.