|“Leatherhead: Terror of the Swamp”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||November 9, 1989|
|Written by||Michael Reaves|
"Leatherhead: Terror of the Swamp" is an episode of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series.
The episode begins with Raphael looking at a photo album of the Turtles' adventures, until Leonardo, Donatello, and Michaelangelo joined in. They also see a picture of their friends, the Punk Frogs. Meanwhile, in the Florida swamp, a normal alligator called Leatherhead wins a battle against a gator hunter and his son. The alligator begins to mutate and grow into a humongous, humanoid creature. Leatherhead begins to chase the Punk Frogs and after he captures them, he make them his slaves. The Punk Frogs called the Turtles for backup against Leatherhead. Meanwhile in the Technodrome, after watching Leatherhead enslave the Frogs, Krang tells Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady to fetch the mutagen infested water and Leatherhead and return back to base. The Turtles, with April's help, searched for the frogs and Leatherhead until they were trapped in Leatherhead's net, but released by the Punk Frogs and together, they capture Leatherhead. They walked until Leatherhead tricks them into a quicksand, but he gets pulled in by April, Donatello, and Michaelangelo. Suddenly, Leatherhead is pulled out again because of Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady, and leaves the others to sink. The heroes manage to get out of the quicksand themselves and find the waters of the Fountain of Youth. Soon, there is a showdown when the four villains appear in front of them again, but they manage to beat them. However, before Shredder, Rocksteady, and Bebop retreat back to Krang's Technodrome, Shredder was de-aged into a baby by the Fountain of Youth, and Leatherhead vowed the get his revenge on the turtles and the frogs.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Greg Berg)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Shredder (Dorian Harewood)
- Baby Shredder (Pat Fraley)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Bebop (Greg Berg)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Leatherhead (Jim Cummings)
- Punk Frogs
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Louisiana Tourist (Peter Renaday)
- Louisiana Tourist Boy (Jennifer Darling)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles vs. Leatherhead
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 3
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- The back part of the interior of Leonardo's Turtlecom is coloured the same as the rest of the device when the Punk Frogs contact him.
- When Bebop and Rocksteady fire their stun lasers their fingers aren't seen making contact with their triggers.
- As the smoke from Rasputin's arrow had cleared in image of Shredder's discarded clothes and armour could be seen next to Leatherhead's foot but Shredder was actually in the fountain of youth at the time with his clothing still intact.
- When the Turtles, April and the Frogs were looking at the baby Shredder, gaps were seen on the strapping on Donatello's bo staff.
- When Michelangelo jumps out of the fountain of youth, Leonardo speaks in Raphael's voice.
- When Donatello says "well, yeah, that's where the frogs live", he has Leonardo's colours.
- This is the first episode appearance of Leatherhead.
- This is the second episode appearance of the Punk Frogs.
- Greg Berg voices Donatello and Bebop.
- Dorian Harewood voices Shredder instead of James Avery.
- Prior to his mutation, Leatherhead doesn't actually touch either of the humans in the boat, but still mutates into a humanoid anyway. This leaves a question as to how and when he came into contact with humans (with some potentially gruesome implications, given his reputation).