Leonardo is a lean mutant red-eared turtle with lime green skin, a golden mustard-yellow plastron, and a blue-green carapace with a bright teal design. He has black eyes, red markings over his eyes and the sides of his face, yellow marks on his upper arms and thighs, three fingers on each hand and two toes on each foot.
Leo wears a blue face mask over his eyes (with long tails down to his middle back), navy blue fingerless gloves (with blue trim) that extend nearly to his elbows and matching toeless socks that rise to mid-calf. He also wears a blue belt and strap over his right shoulder, with blue pouches on the belt and a Turtle emblem on the strap.
Leonardo is charming and clever, and possesses a lighthearted quality that he often uses against potential enemies even as he fights them. He is prone to making jokes, sometimes at inappropriate times, and uttering one-liners which he believes "fire up the team."
Despite his carefree tendencies, Leonardo is capable of being both sensible and serious when the occasion demands it. When he does, as in the events of Origami Tsunami, he uses both his charisma and his intelligence to sway his brothers into listening to him.
A red-eared slider turtle, Leonardo is intelligent and quick-witted. He uses his sharp skills to beat opponents and find shortcuts around obstacles. And he always knows the perfect time to land one of his many one-liners!
- Portal creation
- Strength (Due to Mutation)
- Speed (Due to Mutation)
- "Dude, you gotta make it to rehearsal." - After Donatello's failed masquerade.
- "Soooo... You guys from Jersey?" - When faced with the just-transformed Jogger Guys.
- "You had to ruin Cannonball Day." - Before his Katana were eaten.
- "Get- me- off- this- ride!" - Falling into the portal created by his sword.
- "You'd think as a birthday bot- you'd be a little more chill at a birthday party." - While fighting Albearto
- "And who doesn't love my one-liners- they fire up the team, right guys?" - During Donnie's Gifts.
- Unlike previous incarnations, this version of Leonardo is the rebel and self-proclaimed coolest turtle, instead of Raphael, rather than his normal role as the leader of the team.
- Since he isn't the leader, Leo is more laid-back than his previous incarnations.
- Leo also isn't the oldest turtle like in some previous incarnations.
- In the 2018 series, each one of the Turtles comes from a different turtle species.
- Since this version of Leonardo is a red-eared slider turtle, he sports visual marks (red stripes over his eyes and yellow stripes over his arms and legs) which are common and give this species its name.
- He will be creating catchphrases for the group to use.
- Leonardo will have the closest relationship with Michelangelo and will be taking him under his wing.
- According to a behind the scenes video, Leo is confirmed to have the smarts to be a leader, but seemingly lacks the maturity as he is more interested in enjoying life as a teenager.
- It is possible that this could foreshadow one of the major changes hinted prior to the series' premiere.
- Leonardo (Rise of the TMNT)/Gallery
- Leonardo (Rise of the TMNT)/Animations
- Leonardo (Rise of the TMNT)/Appearances