Michelangelo is the laid back "Party Dude" of the TMNT pack. He often makes attempts to lighten the situations that the Turtles are in by making wisecracks or otherwise fooling around. He is the youngest turtle.
More fun-loving than his brothers, Michelangelo was given a much bigger role in the 1987 cartoon series, directed for the younger audience, than in the more serious original comic books. He came to epitomize the late 1980s and early 1990s popular culture incarnation of the TMNT, coining most of their catch phrases. Like all of the brothers, he is named after a famous Renaissance artist; in this case, he is the namesake of Michelangelo Buonarroti, who was the painter of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The spelling of the character's name varies from source to source, and he has been alternately shown as both Michelangelo and Michaelangelo. However, the spelling of the Renaissance master is "Michelangelo".
Because Kevin Eastman's original "ninja turtle" concept drawing (1983) portrayed an unnamed turtle with nunchaku strapped to its arms, some consider Michelangelo to be the first Ninja Turtle created.
Michelangelo is consistently portrayed as the youngest, most light-hearted,and friendly of the four Turtle brothers. Upbeat and good-natured, 'Mikey' (an affectionate nickname frequently used by his brothers) prefers to spend his time enjoying his life, but Mikey can be serious if the situation calls for it. While his brothers wrestle with the implications of their mutation and their place in the world, Michelangelo enjoys relaxing in front of the TV, skateboarding throughout the labyrinthine underground sewers that the Turtles have made their home, reading comic books, and in other media, eating lots of pizza. Michelangelo's innocent and childlike personality has led to him being referred to as the youngest brother. Michelangelo's brothers, especially Raphael, assume a protective watch over him whenever they venture outside of their abode, and they habitually expect little of their sibling during serious discussions. In the 2007 movie, Michelangelo is referred to by Leonardo as 'little brother'. However, out of all his brothers, he is very close to Donatello. Mikey shows he cares about Raphael, as he went to check on him when he was electrocuted by the Shredder. But he still makes fun of his brother once in a while. This often includes jokes or water balloons being thrown at Raph or poking him till the point where Raph chases or hits him.
Though his abilities are often underestimated due to his position in the band of brothers, throughout the series Michelangelo reveals an unparalleled level of sensitivity to the feelings of those around him and, as a result, feels a very real and serious need to help those he believes are less fortunate than he. Michelangelo despises confrontation and avoids fights (especially with his brothers) at almost all costs. He simply laughs off most insults thrown his way and prefers to take a more light-hearted approach to solving problems. The other Turtles frequently become frustrated with his constant tendency to downplay serious situations and joke around during them, and it is this attitude that causes most of the conflicts between Michelangelo and his brothers throughout the series. Because of Michelangelo's happy-go-lucky and goofball nature, he is often the main source of comic relief in the comics and shows, his brothers often serving as the (unwitting and unwilling) butt of his jokes.
Despite their personality differences, Michelangelo generally gets along well with his brothers. He admires Leonardo (also known among the brothers as 'Leo') for acting as the archetypal eldest brother and de facto leader, as well as a strict practitioner of bushido and ninjutsu. Michelangelo views Leonardo almost as a parental figure and will often look to him for reassurance. Leonardo is the stable pillar in Michelangelo's life, always silently watching and waiting, doing his best to ensure the safety of his younger brother. Leonardo frequently raises the issue of Michelangelo's safety in the 2007 film, on one occasion asking who would keep an eye on Michelangelo while he was gone. When they reunite later on, Leo is a little embarrassed when Michelangelo (who missed Leonardo as well) hugs him. In the 2003 animated series, when Michelangelo is challenged to a fight in the episode 'Grudge Match', Leonardo takes up the responsibility of being Michelangelo's trainer. When the time comes for the match, Leonardo reassures Michelangelo by saying that '...If one falls, we all fall.' Also in the 2003 series, one episode shows that Michelangelo may fear Leonardo going to the darkside, shown in an illusion where Mikey finds his brother, only to see one of his arms mutated to look like a creature's tentacles, and attack him. Leo said that he took an offer the creature made when it showed them mercy after capturing them, however, it was part the illusion the creature itself created to show Michelangelo the depths of fear, just as it did with the other turtles.
Similarly, Michelangelo looks to the hot-tempered and aggressive Raphael for emotional support and protection. Although Raphael acts tough and rebellious, he cares deeply for Michelangelo, even openly admitting that the mere thought of his brother being grievously injured causes him to experience violent rage. Michelangelo knows that Raphael will do everything in his power to protect him. However, out of all his brothers, Michelangelo spends the most time with his genius brother, Donatello. Despite vastly different interests and personalities, the pair seem to get along very well and rely heavily upon one another when fights occur between Leonardo and Raphael. Their closeness probably stems from their passive personalities, which set them apart from the more authoritative Leonardo and confrontational Raphael, and makes them common sparring and video game partners.
Although a well-trained ninja, Michelangelo is primarily a social being and lacks the discipline of Leonardo, the relentless ferocity of Raphael, and the quick mind of Donatello. However, Michelangelo makes up for these losses with the boundless energy, unorthodox fighting style, and fierce determination that he shows when he fights alongside his brothers. In several portrayals, Michelangelo exhibits a strongly creative side. In a side story in volume 2 of Tales of the TMNT, it is revealed that at an early age, Michelangelo was a talented artist. In the Image comics, Michelangelo became a published author.
In the Mirage Comics Michelangelo didn't joke and gag as much as he did later on in the first cartoon series. In the original comic books, Michelangelo was initially depicted as fun-loving, carefree, and, while not as aggressive as Raphael, always ready to fight. He is much more seriously natured than in the film incarnations, which have labeled his character a permanent "dude" talking pre-teen. It was Michelangelo's one-shot in this series that fleshed out most of the traits that have become synonymous with the character, such as his playfulness, empathy, and easygoing nature. In the story, Michelangelo adopts a stray cat (which he names Klunk) and also stops thieves from stealing toys meant for orphaned children.
After their defeat at the hands of the Foot Clan the Turtles, Splinter, April O'Neil, and Casey Jones retreat to a farm house in Northampton, Massachusetts which used to belong to Casey's grandmother. While there, April is worried to note that Michelangelo is not himself. He spends his days in the barn taking out his aggression on a punching bag. A scene shows him lashing out at his surroundings and repeatedly punching the wall of the barn until it breaks, then collapsing on it despondently, anger spent. The end of the story implies that Michelangelo's sorrow and frustration have been resolved, as subsequent issues reunite Michelangelo with his more relaxed, optimistic personality.
It is during this time at the farm we learn that Michelangelo also has an interest in comic books, specifically ones involving superheroes such as "The Justice Force" (comic book heroes based on The Justice League and The Fantastic Four). He also found solace in writing fiction and produced a story depicting himself a ronin in Feudal Japan.
In the issue "City at War", Michelangelo instantly bonds with Casey Jones' adopted daughter Shadow, who nicknames him "Rooish". In the second volume, the Turtles decide to try to live apart from one another. Michelangelo, social creature that he is, moves in with April and Casey so that he can be close to Shadow. Throughout the first two volumes, Michelangelo seemed to act as peacemaker of the team. These stories also laid the foundations which demonstrated his closeness with Donatello; their laid-back natures separating them from the more contentious Leonardo and Raphael.
In Volume 4, Michelangelo gets a job as a tour guide showing alien visitors around Earth. His first (and only) tourist is the Regenta (or "princess") Seri of the Styracodon race. Michelangelo convinced Seri to sneak away from her bodyguards so that he could take her on a tour of the northwest coast of the U.S. Unfortunately, his plan landed him in trouble when Seri's bodyguards became aware of his machinations. They attacked Michelangelo and transported him back to their home world, were he was placed in prison. With the help of a Triceraton prisoner named Azokk, he managed to escape, and was rescued by a group of Triceratons who had come to rescue Azokk. Michelangelo was not given an especially large role in Volumes 1 and 2, did little to advance the plot, and was often not portrayed as an especially skilled fighter. His relatively small role was probably due to the need to establish Leonardo's role as "leader" along with the fact that Donatello was Peter Laird's favorite Turtle, and Raphael was Kevin Eastman's favorite.
In the Archie Comics series, Michaelangelo is initially presented very similarly to his 1987 cartoon portrayal-understandable considering the comic started as an adaption of the popular animated series. As the series progressed, Archie's Michaelangelo was presented as more mature than the cartoon version. This version developed an interest in poetry. During a battle, he was temporarily blinded and later captured by the U.S. Military, whereupon he was interrogated and tortured. He was eventually rescued by his family and saved the life of the man who tortured him.
One of his many skills in the Archie comics was also to communicate with animals. In a storyline set in the future, Michaelangelo is shown to have become an artist whose main job is running an orphanage.
In the comics published by Image Michelangelo's interest in writing is expanded upon and he's established as a writer of fiction and poetry. An early issue has him selling his first poem to poetry digest. As the comic continued, Michelangelo's career as a writer gradually expanded. In the final issue, he has published his first novel, a romance called "A Rose Among the Thorns". April mentions that the book was already going back for a second printing and that she'd heard that Oprah Winfrey loved it which, "practically guarantees that it will be a best-seller." It should be noted that in this series, Michelangelo is the only turtle to not have anything bad happen to him (Leonardo became an amputee, Donatello became a cyborg, and Raphael had his face scarred).
The Next MutationEdit
Mikey's the only turtle who continued to like pizza. Besides being the wisecracking turtle, he also drives their jeep along the streets of New York, hosting his own pirate radio show, The Sewer Hour. He was also shown to have very odd eating habits (i.e. chicken feet, pouring soda on his cereal, etc.).
Coming Out of Our ShellsEdit
Mikey's the lead vocals & guitarist of the band in their stage show.
MoviesEditMichaelangelo is depicted in the live-action movies as the easy-going, free-spirited turtle. One of his movie catch phrases is, "I love being a turtle!" Owing to his popularity with children, he is given many lines and comes up with several (slightly outrageous) plans to advance plots. In the 1990 movie, April O'Neil does her evening report on TV as Michaelangelo expresses "Shes a babe!" Be it pizza, partying, skateboarding or love, Michelangelo is a fun loving turtle, but when is comes to fighting, he gets right down to the "chucks"! In the first movie, he and Donatello were regularly paired together while Leonardo and Raphael were arguing. In the first movie and the first sequel, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, he was portrayed by Michelan Sisti; in the second sequel, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, he was portrayed by David Fraser. In all three movies, he was voiced by Robbie Rist.
In the 2007 TMNT film, Mikey has taken to performing at children's birthday parties as "Cowabunga Carl" in order to make ends meet to support his family. It becomes apparent early in the film that the physical and emotional absence of Leo has finally begun to affect the outgoing Michelangelo. Unlike his other incarnations, the 2007 Mikey seems to draw the most emotional support from Donatello instead of his other brothers, Leonardo and Raphael.
Upon Leonardo's return from Central America, Mikey gives his oldest brother an enthusiastic hug, falling over the couch and tripping over furniture in his excitement. Mikey's lively demeanor returns in full force when he is in the presence of his three brothers again, his good-natured jokes and brief commentaries lightening even in hard situations. Clearly, despite the hardship that his family has recently experienced, Michelangelo has retained much of his usual goofy, laid-back personality and still remains the main form of comic relief. He is voiced by Mikey Kelley. Comparing all four brothers in the 2007 movie; it is shown that he has blue eyes where the other three have brown. According to the film's director, this was done to make Michelangelo seem a bit more innocent and younger than the other turtles. In all other film incarnations, Mikey has brown eyes. He is a fantastic skateboarder in this movie, able to complete many tricks underground.
Casey Jones: The MovieEdit
Michelangelo appears in the 2011 fan film, Casey Jones. In this film, it is Mikey that first meets Casey Jones, as opposed to all other media in which Raphael meets him first. He was portrayed by Chris Frasier and Marty Moreno, and once again voiced by Robbie Rist.
- [Foot Soldiers brake in through windows] Boy, and I thought insurance salesmen were pushy.
- Don't know, but I bet it never has to look for a can-opener. [from seen Shredder from the first time]
- Hey Donny, looks like this one is suffering from shell shock.
- Yes, dudelols and dudettes! Major league butt kicking is back in town!
- God, I LOVE *BEING A TURTLE*!
- Which one's the ugly one? [about Tokka and Razahr]
- Ahh, ninja pizza!
- Hey, Dudes! Cowabunga says it all.
- [to Walker] Hey, buddy, don't you know that Westerns are dead?
- [To Mitsu] But, I want to stay here... with you.
- Do they have apartments in Japan?
- Turtles: It's not just a job. It's an adventure.
- I have nightmares about birthday parties.
- Dudes, did anyone get the license plate number of that thing that hit us last night? Man, my head.
- Why skate a half-pipe when you can skate a sewer pipe?
- Oh, so it's like Hailey's Comet - only monsters come out!
- "It looked like your mom dude"
Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles(Turtles Forever)
- Mirage Michelangelo:Ya I kinda dug the inishials on the belt buckles
- We could find a place. Just think of overhauling the wheels. Please? Please please please please? Did I mention you're my favorite turtle? (to Donatello)
- You know, I'm gonna stop with the puns. Seriously, they always come back to bite you!
- Cool move! I gotta remember that one.
- The trendy new short head bands are in this season. All the stylish ninja are wearing them.
- Okay, did shredder like, just wake up one morning and say, "Here's an idea! Mutant clones of me! Really ugly ones!"
- (to shredder)"Oh yeah,Mr.spikey pants,well your the one who should be saying farewell to...uh...to yourself!"
- It's only a movie, it's only a movie, it's only a movie, we're all gonna die!!!!
- "T-M-N-T,What you get is what you see!!"
- "ya,he's like 'the shredinator or something'"
- (breaths like darth vader)"Join me Leonardo i am your father!!"
- Oh Leonardoo!! You got some explaining to do!!!
- "ya i dont think they heard you in jersey"(to Raph)
- "HEY SHELL-FOR-BRAINS,COULD YA KEEP IT DOWN PEOPLE IN JERSEY ARE TRYING TO SLEEP"(To Raph)
- "(running from donnie)"aaaaaaahh.aaaaaaah.help me.help me.hes trying to eat my leg again"
- "'something stinks on that island and it aint the garbage'"
- "eeew whats that smell.it smells like burnt...oh sorry sensei."
- "their lauphing.thats nice.i cant move and their laughing"
- "gamedude,speak to me gamedude."
- "see the fullmoon donnie.do you fell the monster inside.the monster taking control.muuhhuuhahahaaaa!!"
- "im the pretty one(to casey)
- "we can have our very own battleshell,i call it 'the battleshell'
- "aaaw the popcorns gone"
- "i was hungry,but now im REALLY hungry"
- "ya,but do we have to have raph"
- (meant for Raph when he jumps in the Purple Dragons van) Oh!! Poor choice Raphael!
- (to April) AAAHHH!! Oh, oh, please don't do that! I almost jumped out of my shell!
- "Oh yeah,Mr.spikeypants,well your the one who should be saying...farewell to...uh...to yourself!"(to shredder)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Comics
- When Leo tells Raph to calm down Mikey responds saying,"I'll help with that!" Throwing a water balloon at Raph's face
- Mikey's fav food is PIZZA!
- Man this asteroid field is tough,i just cant beat it(raph brings pizza)mmm,must eat pizza,but cant stop playing,but must eat pizza,but cant stop playing,BUT MUST EAT PIZZA!AAAAAAAAH!!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012 TV Series)
- "BOOYAKASHA!!!!!!!!!!"-- Mikey's new catchphrase
- "Mmmmm, pepperoni!"
- "Booyaka-(falls asleep and starts snoring)"
- "How about we push this button??"
- (To Raphael) "Dude, you have to see your face now..you looks so mad.."
- (To Donatello) "You're welcome.."
- (To Raphael) "Ugh..YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SCIENCE!!!"
- (To Leonardo) "*gasp* the hand that punch Splinter!!You know you can never wash this again..."
- "No reasons..I just think that i should lead.."
- "Booyaka-- *cover his mouth after he realizes that he can't breathe*"
- (Insult Raphael) "You moved like a bloated buffalo!!"
- (To Leo & Raph) "We'll compromise..I'll lead.."
- (To Leonardo about Splinter) "No, i'm not poking him, i'm not poking him!!!"
- (To Leonardo) "You're sure Leo??Cause against Splinter, your plans always get our butts whipped"
- (Teasing Raphael) "Not bad for a bloated buffalo.."
- (To Leonardo because Leo always knew if he wants to throw him a water baloon) "Dude, you're good at this.."
- (To Leonardo about DNA)"Building blocks dude,I'll drop the science on you later."
- "Booyakasha shredhead"
- "aahww i forgot to say-see you next fall,oh well.next elevator shaft fight".
- (to donnie)Dude,your weapon just exploded!!
- (leo says lepracons are not real)LEPRACONS ARENT REAL??!!!!??
- uuuummm guys,i think i need to change my shell.
- Mikey: "Whoa! It's like he's psychic!"
- (To Donnie thinking about the symbol about the Kraang) The Olympics!
Donnie: "He is Psychic shellhead!"
- Gender: Male
- Origin: Italian
- Meaning: Angel Michael
- Pronunciation: (my kah LAHN jeh lo)
The name, which refers to the biblical archangel Michael, was borne by Michelangelo Buonarrotti, the famous Italian sculptor, painter, architect,
- Like his brothers, Mikey is a practitioner of Chi Gong, as shown in Turtles in Space, Part 3: The Big House.
- Michelangelo had a blankie until the second lair was destroyed.
- As seen in episode 14 of the third season, 'The Darkness Within', Mikey's greatest fear is betrayal.
- In the Nick version he is voiced by Greg Cipes who also voiced Beast Boy on Teen Titans. Coincidentally, both are green teenagers who are the most laid-back members of their team.
The character's name was originally misspelled as "Michaelangelo", with an additional "a". This misspelling had stuck until 2001 with Volume 4 of the comic series from Mirage Studios, when the spelling was officially changed to "Michelangelo". The 1996 anime also used the "Michelangelo" spelling. On the TMNT 2007 movie teaser poster featuring Michelangelo, we see the "Michaelangelo" spelling, though the movie uses the proper spelling of the name in its credits.
Klunk is Michelangelo's pet cat. He first appeared in the Michelangelo microseries, and was hit by a car and died in the Tales of the TMNT vol. 2 issue 9. Shortly after, the Turtles discovered that Klunk had mated and had kittens with an alley cat.
Klunk also appears in a few episodes of the 2003 cartoon, starting with The Christmas Aliens. Based on the revamped character designs in the Back to the Sewer season, this version of Klunk appears to be female, whereas the Klunk from the Mirage comic was confirmed to be male.