Michelangelo is a lean mutant box turtle with teal green skin, yellow-orange circles painted on his shoulders and thighs, a bright yellow plastron with neon pink and blue lighting bolts painted on and a navy teal carapace with yellow-orange designs. He has black eyes, a small gap on the right side of his upper jaw, three fingers and two toes on each foot.
Mikey wears an orange face mask over his eyes (with short mask tails), orange wristbands and color-matching socks and orange knee pads with faces (dead face on the right and smiley face on the left). He also wears black shorts and a light brown belt around his chest and strap over his right shoulder, as well as a Turtle emblem over his heart.
Youngest of the group, Michelangelo has a wild and colorful personality. He's an artist and spends his time tagging the Turtles' lair—and his own box turtle shell—with graffiti. He's an eternal optimist and an absolute natural at ninjutsu.
- Strength (Due To Mutation)
- Speed (Due To Mutation)
- "You must be THIS rad to ride that ride." - After the cannonball.
- "Guys, I've seen this before. In fact, we all have... In Splinter's Do Not Touch cabinet." - After examining the symbol.
- Mikey will say Cowabunga as his catchphrase on the show rather than "Booyakasha", which was his catchphrase in the previous Nickelodeon incarnation.
- According to the writers, he'll be the sweet and loving turtle of the team.
- He will have a close relationship with Leo, who takes him under his wing.
- He's an artist and likes to put stickers on his shell.
- He also loves to decorate the Lair with graffiti.
- Brandon Mychal Smith stated in an interview that Mikey likes extreme sports.
- In the original Mirage Comics' The Passing, Mikey's training weapon was also a Kusari-Fundo.
- This version of Mikey is the second overall ninja turtle to have a gap in his teeth.
- Despite being referred to as a kusari-fundo in the official character releases, Mikey's new weapon more closely resembles a chigiriki