Michelangelo Meets Bugman is a season 4 episode of the 1987-1996 series.
Michelangelo was reading a Bugman comic Splinter interrupts and tells him you're late for ninja practice. During their practice the power suddenly goes out. While Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael goes to check the electricity Michelangelo continues to read his Bugman comics. Suddenly he hears someone screaming and thinks the other turtles are playing a prank on him. However he again hears someone screaming and checks it out. It was a man named Brick Bradley tied up with a chain attached to a piece of wood. Michelangelo dives into the water to rescues him.
Later Brick wakes up and sees Michelangelo holding his chain and tells him to get rid of it. Michelangelo is confused and tells him it's only a chain but he tells him it's Leestanite. He quickly throws it away after realizing it's his weakness. Michelangelo notices he's Brick Bardley and that he's affected by Leestanite and tells him that you're Bugman. And he tells him that I'm Bugman and that he is counting on him to keep his identity a secret because he has many enemies and Mike tells him that I have many comic books. Brick explains to him how he become Bugman while working in a science lab experimenting on some insects, he trips on a cable landing on his experiment and screams. The intense light fused the insects DNA molecules with his own.
After his accident while on his way back home a group of bank robbers rob a nearby bank and nearly hit him with their truck but he manages to jump out of the way, he than slowly turns into Bugman and defeats the robbers by carrying their truck into a prison. Since than whenever his emotions overpower him he becomes bugman. Michelangelo shows him his comic about Electrozapper and Brick tells him he surprised him in his secret hideout near the power plant. Their fight knocked out the lights. He had him until he brought out the Leestanite. After hearing what happened to Bugman, Michelangelo decides to go with him to fight Electrozapper. He leaves a note for the other Turtles telling them where he has gone.
When the Turtles find Michelangelo's note, they begin to laugh, thinking that it's one of his practical jokes.
Bugman takes Michelangelo to a power plant where Electrozapper is hiding out. When they arrive, they find April walking around investigating the plant. They locate one of Electrozapper's antennas and destroy it. Electrozapper comes out to see what happened to his antenna and is greeted by Bugman and Michelangelo. After a long battle, Bugman and Michelangelo get captured by Electrozapper. The villain brings them to his hideout and hooks them up to one of his machines. The 'zapper plans on draining our heroes energy and transferring it to himself.
At the lair, the Turtles begin to wonder if maybe Michelangelo was serious about going with Bugman. They decide to go out looking for him. They arrive at the power plant in time to rescue April from a fire.
In the hideout, Michelangelo manages to get free and also frees Bugman. The other Turtles arrive at the hideout in time to help Michelangelo and Bugman defeat Electrozapper. Electrozapper gets arrested and Bugman flies off into the sunset.
After watching April's news about Bugman beating Electrozapper, Michelangelo tells the other turtles that April has gone a little buggy leading the other turtles to beat him using their pillows. Michelangelo tells them that he's only kidding and begs them to stop and they continue beating him and he yells in pain.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Brick Bradley/Bugman (Dan Gilvezan)
- Electrozapper (Pat Fraley)
- Dr. Dome (Peter Renaday)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Michelangelo Meets Bugman
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 4
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When Raphael and Donatello free April from the fire at the power station Donatello's bo disappears when it's laying on the ground.
- When the Turtles are practicing their ninja skills, Michelangelo is seen with Donatello's colors and Donatello's letter in a shot.
- When Leonardo asks where Michelangelo is, his mouth doesn't move.
- First appearance of Brick Bradley/Bugman
- Doctor Dome's (one of Bugman's enemies) name is a parody of the Marvel supervillain Doctor Doom. He is not to be confused with the Justice Force member of the same name.
- The plot of this episode loosely resembles the episode "Captain Steel Saves the Day" from The Real Ghostbusters but in this episode the Bugman comic book characters exist in the TMNT universe.
- Leestanite, the substance to which Bugman is weak to, is named after famed Marvel Comics author Stan Lee. Bugman's powers and origin story were inspired by Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk, both of whom were created by Stan Lee. The villain Electrozapper may also have been based off the Spider-Man villain Electro.
- Michelangelo and Brick Bradley break the forth wall.
Michelangelo: "You know dudes. I think April has gone a little buggy." (the other turtles lift their pillows and start hitting him with it) "Ow! Hey, come on! I was just kidding guys! Ah, ah stop!" (cuts outside the lair and he yells in pain)