Michelangelo Meets Bugman Again is a season 5 episode of the 1987-1996 series.
Michelangelo is displeased when when he discovers that the Bugman comic books are no longer being published. Raphael points out that he knows the real Bugman, and thus it's not a huge loss, but Michelangelo is still upset by the loss of his favorite comics.
Unbeknownst to the Turtles, a strange man is following them and taking notes on what they say, hoping to discover where their lair is. One of Donatello's alarms goes off when the man comes too close, but a spot of bad luck for the Turtles allows him to escape. While Michelangelo goes to check on Brick Bradley, the other three Turtles set out to find the mysterious intruder.
The intruder turns out to be shadowing Michelangelo in particular. After Michelangelo saves him from some bank robbers, the guy introduces himself as Jerry Spiegel, which Michelangelo soon finds is the writer of "Adventures of Bugman." He figures out that Spiegel wants to make a comic book series about the Ninja Turtles, which is what he did to Brick Bradley as well.
Meanwhile, April covers the theft of some "designer" termites from a laboratory, who are capable of eating any substance. Elsewhere, a supervillain (dressed like a cut-rate Shredder copy) known as "The Swatter" is using a mind-altering ray to put the termites under his control, before releasing them into the world.
Returning to the lair, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael tune in to the news and learn that the termites are devouring a shopping mall. They arrive just in time for Leonardo to rescue April from falling to her death, and the Swatter then announces that unless the Turtles come meet him, he'll unleash his termite horde again.
Michelangelo finally finds Brick Bradley, but unfortunately he has been at a meditation retreat and is now too at peace to become Bugman. Michelangelo drags Brick away physically, vowing to irritate him somehow until he saves the day, even as Brick declares that it's no longer his concern what happens to the city.
Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael all appear at the designated meeting place, and are amused by the Swatter's costume. Enraged, he engages them in a fight and ends up trapping them on a massive sheet of flypaper. Much to their surprise, he then pulls out a notebook and starts asking them questions about themselves.
Michelangelo and Brick arrive at the Channel 6 building just as the termites do, and April manages to accidentally provoke Brick into transforming into Bugman. He uses his power over insects to send the termites back where they came from. Then he and Michelangelo set out to confront the Swatter, who fights with Bugman as Michelangelo frees his brothers.
They unmask the Swatter, and discover that it's actually Spiegel, and that he was indeed trying to create a Ninja Turtles comic book series. Back in the lair, the Turtles bid farewell to Brick, and then scoff at the idea of comic-books based on them - right before Michelangelo crawls into bed and starts reading one.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Splinter (Townsend Coleman)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vernon Fenwick (Townsend Coleman)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Brick Bradley/Bugman (Dan Gilvezan)
- Jerry Spiegel/The Swatter (Townsend Coleman)
- News Vendor (???)
- Short Criminal (Pat Fraley)
- Tall Criminal (???)
- Juliet Schmooze (Jennifer Darling)
- Professor Higginbottom (Cam Clarke)
- Turtles' Lair
- City streets
- City sewers
- Channel 6
- Science Lab
- Conspicuous Consumption Mall
- Swatter's hideout
- Happyvale Meditation Center
- Entire State Building
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- Second and final appearance of Brick Bradley/Bugman.
- Jerry Spiegel's alter ego the Swatter(an in-universe parody of The Shredder), is ironic considering his voice actor Townsend Coleman would voice Shredder from "Night of the Rogues" up until "Shredder Triumphant!".
- Shredder and Krang are mentioned.
- Jerry Speigel's name is a spoof of Superman creator Jerry Siegel. Juliet Schmooze, meanwhile, is a parody of DC comics editor Julie Schwartz.
- When The Swatter first attacks the three Turtles, Raphael's shell has flashing white smears on his shell.