|“Raphael Versus the Volcano”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||October 5, 1991|
|Written by||Carole Mendelsohn|
"Raphael Versus the Volcano" is an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Thanks to a malfunction in Donatello's "Healthometer", an invention designed to diagnose one's health, and a misunderstanding, where Michelangelo's pizza oven breaks and he thinks his younger brother is crying about him, Raphael is convinced that he is not long for this world. Raphael decides to make the world a better place with what little time he has left.
Raphael, disguised in a Musketeer costume and calling himself "The Green Defender", risks his life by stopping crime all over the city. The "terminal" terrapin even rescues a cat off of a ledge of a high-rise apartment building.
Back at the Turtle Lair, Donatello repairs the "Healthometer" and searches for Raphael to tell him that he is okay and that the invention was broken, only to discover Raphael's farewell note. The Turtles join April and scour the city for Raphael/The Green Defender.
Meanwhile, a Professor Wilhelm Vanilli is angry that LaVerne Forsythe, president of the Flower Society Club, has named the recently discovered species (discovered by Professor Vanilli himself) of lily after herself. Vanilli vows to kill every living plant on the planet for revenge by dropping a canister of the toxic chemical into the volcano on the Island of Poppalua.
When Raphael sees the live broadcast of Professor Vanilli's threat, he takes the Turtle Blimp and heads for the island of Poppalua. The other Turtles team up with April as she is assigned to cover the story as well.
They arrive in the Channel Six News Helicopter just in time to see Raphael leap into the volcano. With the help of the other Turtles, Raphael/The Green Defender saves the world's vegetation.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael/The Green Defender (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Wilhelm Vanilli (Rob Paulsen)
- LaVerne Portside (Renae Jacobs)
- Channel 6 Cameraman
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When Raphael escapes the dynamite factory, he uses smoke to make his cape fly, this would not work as raph would be too heavy, and the cape had nothing supporting it to catch the air even if he had been light enough.
- These are the readings on the Healthometer:
- A-1 Specimen
- Physically Fit
- Not So Hot
- Sick as a Dog
- Adios Amigo
- Raphael calls himself "The Green Defender".