|“Raphael Versus the Volcano”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||October 5, 1991|
|Written by||Carole Mendelsohn|
"Raphael Versus the Volcano" is an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Donatello has created a new invention called the Healthometer, which can instantly gauge the health of anyone with a simple finger scan. Splinter insists that all the other Turtles undergo an examination by the machine, which Raphael is reluctant to do. Much to his horror, the Healthometer says that he's going to die soon, and promptly explodes.
Meanwhile, Burne Thompson has assigned Vernon to cover the eruption of a volcano on the Island of Poppalua and April to cover the dedication of a new species of lily at the local Flower Society Club. Both are displeased by this arrangement. April is bored even when Professor Wilhelm Vanilli storms in, angry that LaVerne Portside, president of the Flower Society Club, named the recently cultivated species (discovered by Professor Vanilli himself) of lily after herself. He vows revenge on the whole world.
Raphael's anxiety over his health grows more intense as he starts worrying that he's dying. He comes back just in time to hear Michelangelo bursting into tears and discussing the "death" of the pizza oven, which Raphael misinterprets as grief over his own impending death. He decides to spend his remaining time on Earth to making the world a better place, with no regard for personal safety.
Just as Donatello discovers the malfunction in the Healthometer, Raphael leaves a note saying goodbye to them.
"The Green Defender" promptly dashes into a bank being robbed and apprehends the robbers, saves a kitten from a ledge, and runs into a burning building filled with TNT. April and the Turtles quickly determine that the Green Defender is none other than Raphael, and begin searching for him.
Meanwhile, Vanilli has vowed to kill every plant on the planet, which he is going to do by dropping a canister of a toxic chemical into the Toppapoppalua volcano. He uses Vernon's microphone to declare what he's done to the world.
Raphael sees the message and takes the Turtle Blimp to Poppalua. Fortunately for the other Turtles, April is taking a helicopter there, and they are able to come aboard. They spot Raphael poised on the edge of the volcano, trying to get to the canister of chemicals. Donatello glides down to tell Raphael the news about his good health, just as the rock under his feet crumbles away, but Michelangelo manages to pull him back to safety. The volcano erupts as they fly away.
Professor Vanilli is arrested as he flees from the erupting volcano, and Raphael takes great pleasure in destroying the Healthometer.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael/The Green Defender (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Wilhelm Vanilli (Rob Paulsen)
- LaVerne Portside (Renae Jacobs)
- Channel 6 Cameraman
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When Raphael escapes the dynamite factory, he uses smoke to make his cape fly, this would not work as Raph would be too heavy, and the cape had nothing supporting it to catch the air even if he had been light enough.
- After reading Raphael's farewell note, Michelangelo shows us Raphael's discarded red mask. The problem is, his red mask can clearly be seen behind his Green Defender mask.
- These are the readings on the Healthometer:
- A-1 Specimen
- Physically Fit
- Not So Hot
- Sick as a Dog
- Adios Amigo
- Raphael calls himself "The Green Defender".