Rust Never Sleeps is the second episode of the Vacation in Europe sideseason. Part of the European vacation season, it had already aired in many European countries during 1992 before airing in the USA over CBS on September 18, 1993.
The Turtles and Splinter return to the Louvre in the evening, much to Splinter's delight. While there, they intervene on a madman's attempt to deface the Mona Lisa, but are forced to flee before the gendarmes arrive.
In Dimension X, Krang is preparing his Hyper Combustion Rocket, which Shredder plans to unleash on Paris. He's even more motivated when Krang reveals that the Turtles are there. However, his impatience causes disastrous results when he transforms the rocket into a Rust Encruster. He plans to use it to threaten world leaders into giving them enough energy to bring the Technodrome back to Earth.
Meanwhile, the Turtles are below the Paris Opera House, where Michelangelo searches for any trace of Phantoms. The other Turtles come across a trunk full of old costumes, and use them to frighten Michelangelo. Just then they notice power fluctuations, which are caused by the Rust Encruster being powered up.
The fluctuations are bad enough that April is sent to France to investigate the power outages. She investigates the computer records at the power plant, and figures out that something is up at the Artists' Quarter. When she finds the Encruster, she also finds Shredder and his mutants there, and is soon captured. She manages to contact the Turtles, but isn't able to tell them where she is before Shredder destroys her Turtle Com.
Rocksteady and Bebop place the Encruster on a truck and fire it at the Eiffel Tower, causing chunks to fall off it. The Turtles interrupt before they can do more damage, but end up with the metallic parts of their weapons oxidized, as well as the Turtle Van.
Since their weapons are less affected, Michelangelo and Donatello are left to deal with Rocksteady and Bebop, while Raphael and Leonardo set out to rescue April. Shredder tries to attack, but Leonardo switches off the lights and drives him off.
They arrive just as Michelangelo prevents the Eiffel Tower from collapsing, seizes the Rust Encruster, and turns it on Shredder, oxidizing his armor and making him unable to move. Rocksteady and Bebop seize him and flee through the portal. In Dimension X, Krang berates Shredder, who keeps demanding oil for his rusted-up armor.
Back in Paris, Donatello reverses the Rust Encruster so that it will de-oxidize the Eiffel Tower, as well as the Turtle Van. Michelangelo advises that they should celebrate with a breakfast pizza.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Hal Rayle)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- French Artist (Pat Fraley)
- Monsieur Director (Hal Rayle)
- Monsieur Ice Cream Man (Barry Gordon)
- Flower Seller (Peter Renaday)
- Louvre Vandal (Townsend Coleman)
- Paris Sewer System
- The Louvre
- Eiffel Tower Site
- French Artist's Apartment
- Streets of Paris
- Paris Power Plant
- Ice Cream Van
- Rust Encruster
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 7
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- Shredder is shocked by the news that the Turtles are in Paris, despite having fought them there in the previous episode.
- When The turtles emerge from the sewers in Paris before almost being hit by the ice cream truck, Donatello is standing on the far left, then Michelangelo, then Raphael, and then Leonardo on the far right. But in the next shot when they hear the ice cream truck, Michelangelo and Raphael have switched positions.
- Right before Shredder says to April that it's the last she'll see of Paris, the color of the girder she is tied to has changed as well as the size of the rope tying her to it.
- Shredder tells Krang that the Eiffel Tower is rusted (it appears bright red), but when Krang looks at it from Dimension X it is completely normal.
- When Leonardo and Raphael arrive at the apartment to save April, Raphael exits the Turtlevan from the passenger side despite sitting in the driver's side only moments before.
- After the Turtles' get their weapons rusted by Krang's Rust Encruster Raphael is seen with an untainted pair of sai when he, Leonardo and April walk to the apartment window to pursue Shredder.
- After Leonardo and Raphael save April from the apartment, Leonardo's swords are untainted as they rappel to the ground.
- When Leonardo, Raphael, and April arrive at the Eiffel Tower, Raphael's sai are untainted.
- Leonardo's swords are untainted after Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady are defeated and leave through the dimensional portal.
- Both Leonardo's swords and Raphael's sai are untainted before Donatello has fixed the Rust Encruster.
- Michelangelo used a pair of rusted nunchuks to fight Bebop and Rocksteady at the Eiffel Tower, but it was his grappling hook that was seen being struck by the Rust Encruster when the Turtles fought them earlier on.
- Just before the Turtlevan was hit with the Rust Encruster's beam, it was missing the turtle teeth from its front bumper.
- Leonardo's katanas were untainted as he and Raphael got into the ice cream truck.
- The chains on Michelangelo's nunchucks were untainted when he ran off to jump up the Eiffel Tower to taunt Bebop and Rocksteady.
- Donatello had Michelangelo's colours when he used the Rust Encruster to restore a car to normal.