- This article was transwikied from Wikipedia.
|“Shredder is Splintered”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 Cartoon) episode|
Face the wrath of Krang!
|Original airdate||December 18, 1987|
|Written by|| David Wise|
|Directed by||Yoshikatsu Kasai|
The first season aired in syndication in December 1987. At this point in the series, the Technodrome is located underneath New York City. Chronologically, this is the 5-part pilot movie episode, "Heroes in a Half Shell".In late 1989 the first five episodes from series 1 were adapted in a 50 minute video special called The Epic Begins released by Family Home Entertainment in the USA and Tempo Video/Abbey Home Entertainment in the UK. Shredder Is Splintered is episode number 5 of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series. It is the fifth episode of season 1 in (1987). This episode of the show is part of the Heroes in a 1/2 Shell arc. It was written by David Wise and Patti Howeth, and directed by Yoshikatsu Kasai. It originally aired on December 18, 1987, in syndication. It is available on DVD on the box set released on April 20, 2004.
Previous video releases of this episode gave it the name The Shredder Is Splintered, and the DVD release lists it as Shredded and Splintered.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michaelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vern Burke (Pat Fraley)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- General Traag (Peter Renaday)
- Turtle Fan Boy ???
- Turtle Fan Girl ???
- Army Colonel (Pat Fraley)
- Old Lady (Tress MacNeille)
- News Anchor (Peter Renaday)
- Man (Rob Paulsen)
The people of New York City have reported sightings of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and April O'Neil is not happy about it, because it is not her story. The Turtles reassure her that she will get the full story and agree with Splinter that it is time to put The Shredder away.
Shredder contacts the Turtles at their sewer lair via their TV to show off his Retro-Mutagen Ray Generator, a device that reverses mutations. He claims it can transform Splinter back into Hamato Yoshi and invites them to "come and get it." Splinter says that he must go alone, because Shredder can use the device to transform the Turtles back into ordinary turtles.
In the Technodrome, Shredder shows Krang his new "body"—a robot which Krang can pilot from inside. Krang's new body is equipped with a Molecular Amplification Unit microchip, which can enlarge both Krang and the robot. Shredder pulls the switch, and as electricity crackles, Shredder yells, "It's alive, it's alive!"
Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Splinter try to break into the Technodrome, easily fending off Bebop and Rocksteady. The intruder alarm sounds, and Shredder—saying it is too soon and Krang "hasn't come to its senses" yet—sends the Foot robots to destroy the Turtles. While the Turtles fight the Foot robots, Splinter slips inside the Technodrome in search of the Retro Mutagen Ray Generator. The Turtles defeat the Foot robots by hacking open a raw sewage line, which causes the outcoming water to flush the robots away.
April, who had returned to the Channel 6 News Building with the Turtle Van and a Turtle Communicator, is about to get fired by her boss Burne Thompson for being in cahoots with the Turtles. April O'Neil threatens him with the Turtle Communicator, pretending it is a "Hyper-Sonic Turtle Death Ray," until he signs a voucher authorizing her a film crew.
Within the Technodrome, Splinter has discovered what he thinks is the Retro-Mutagen-Ray-Generator, but is just a hologram. Then Shredder arrives, accompanied by many holograms of himself, and engages Splinter in a martial arts combat.
The Turtles, watching from a remote control camera, see Krang heading for the Transdimensional Portal, where he contacts General Traag, leader of the Stone Warriors from Dimension X. General Trag tells Krang that the troops are ready and waiting. Leonardo, Michaelangelo, and Raphael arrive to stop Krang from opening the Transdimensional Portal, but Krang uses the Molecular Amplification Device to expand to twenty times his size and chases them out of the Technodrome. He smashes a hole through the street and climbs out, pursued by the Turtles.
Donatello arrives aboard his new creation: the Turtle Blimp, created from the Neutrino's star mobile and Baxter Stockman's spare parts. He is closely followed by April, Vernon Fenwick, and their film crew.
April videotapes Donatello and Leonardo as they glide inside Krang's robot to destroy his Molecular Amplification Unit. Leonardo can't cut out the growth mechanism with his katana, so Donatello smashes it with his bo staff. As Krang begins to shrink, Donatello and Leonardo rush out before they are crushed. Krang, at normal size, contacts Shredder for help, but Shredder is still fighting Splinter in the Technodrome. Shredder uses a device to imprison Splinter inside an electric cage and disappears to help Krang.
Splinter, fearing Shredder will use the Retro Mutagen Ray Generator on the Turtles, pries up a metal screw in the floor with his fingernails and hurls it through the bars of his cage at the generator, which shuts of the power.
Shredder is aiming the Retro-Mutagen Ray Generator towards the Turtles when Splinter arrives and throws his staff at the generator, destroying it. The Turtles thank Splinter and sadly acknowledge that the Retro-Mutagen Ray Generator was probably his only chance to become human again, but Splinter said he had to do it to save the Turtles from becoming ordinary turtles again. Shredder and Krang escape back to the Technodrome followed by the Turtles and Splinter.
When they arrive, Krang's Stone Warriors are marching from the Transdimensional Portal... until Donatello reverses the flow of the portal, causing the Technodrome to pull itself into Dimension X. The Turtles and Splinter run out and turn around to see the Technodrome and everyone inside disappear.
Krang and Shredder discover that they are in Dimension X, as billions of rock soldiers wave to the Technodrome as it appears. Krang sees his chance to conquer his home dimension, but Shredder grumbles while removing his mask, "But I don't want to conquer this place. I want to conquer Earth." Krang says he is absolute master of Dimension X and Shredder will do his bidding from now on. Shredder exclaims,"The Shredder takes orders from no one!" Krang responded they shall see.
Back on Earth, April reports her story about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but the people of New York City are split in their opinion about them.
At the end of the episode, Splinter warns the Turtles that he fears that they have not seen the last of Shredder or Krang, foreshadowing the next season. An announcer says that their showing a classic movie called The Evil Brain from Dimension X, but the turtles were completely unamused.
Michaelangelo: "Uh-oh, it's that Retro-muto, thinga-me-bob!!"
Donatello: He's gonna use it to turn us back into ordinary turtles!!
Raphael: "Well gang, looks like it's back to the old pet shop for us!!"
Shredder: Far from it! Tonight I dine on Turtle soup!
- - Looks like Shredder is hungry for vengeance. *rimshot*
Rocksteady: Well well well! Looky what we found!
Bebop: We got a score to settle with you little twoips!! (Rocksteady then tosses Leonardo and Raphael into some trash cans) Awww! Did I hoit youse?! (whips out rifle) Dis'll make it better!!!! (fires off rifle)
- - Rocksteady, with a Ph. D in weaponry.
Krang: I am Krang, the all powerful, I have never been defeated!
Michaelangelo: Well you've never tangled with a turtle before, pal!
- - Uh.....Krang? YES. YOU HAVE.
When the Foot Soldiers shoot at the Splinter and the Turtles (except Donatello), Raphael is seen with Donatello's colours.
During the truck fight with Rocksteady and Bebop, there's a part where Leonardo is seen with Raphael's colours.
Raphael and Donatello have opposite positions between shots when on the Turtle Blimp.
- Where did Shredder get that sword from when he's fighting Splinter?
- It must also be a pretty blunt sword, because it can't even cut through Splinter's cane...which the latter snaps apart with his bare hands a few minutes later.
- When April gets fired, she manages to get her job back by threatening to blow up the entire Channel 6 Building. April is hardcore. (The TMNT Wiki, on the other hand, would like to point out that in the real world, not only is this several kinds of illegal, but downright stupid as well, and will not take any responsibility whatsoever if you try this yourself if you get fired.)
- Of course, this doesn't work for long, as Burne takes back his order and chases after April with two security guards afterwards. She's still seen later reporting under the Channel 6 banner as if nothing's happened, though.
- Why did Vernon run away from his boss when April makes her escape? Burne's not after him! It does fit with Vernon's later characterisation as a glory-hunting sneak, but it seems a little odd considering that the first season mostly depicted him as a coward.
- Anybody with half a brain wouldn't be fooled by Shredder's semi-transparent holograms, and yet Splinter still struggles to find the real one during their encounter.
- This is the first instance where Shredder utter his "classic line": "Tonight, I dine on Turtle soup!"
- The old lady (with a gun!) from "Turtle Tracks" makes a second appearance in the end of the episode.
- Donatello makes the Turtle Blimp in this episode.
- Krang receives his android body in this episode. In this episode the body has an Inspector Gadget-esque ability to transform its arms into tools and other useful items; however, Krang is never seen to use this ability again during the series (though it later appears in Turtles Forever, in Ch'rell's rebuilt body).
- First appearance of the Turtlecoms. In this episode they all resemble April's disguised power compact version but the Turtles' versions would later be seen in their familiar walkie talkie style from Season 2 onwards. Bebop and Rocksteady were last seen stuck in cemete, and were never seen going into the dimensional portal at the end when Donatello sent Krang and Shredder back into Dimension X, but in the next season, Bebop and Rocksteady are there with the Shredder, even though the Technodrone was said to be out of power at this point in the series
- Final appearance of Baxter's lab.