|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||November 15, 1989|
|Written by||Francis Moss|
"Shredderville" is an episode of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series.
The Shredder gets away once again, and the turtles believe that the world would be better if they weren't around. The Turtles wake up, discovering that Splinter and their lair are gone, and that New York City has been renamed "Shredderville".
Donatello theorizes that they have somehow been dislocated into an alternate reality, a parallel earth where events unfolded slightly differently than on their own Earth, namely that the Turtles never existed in this world. Shredder was able to conquer New York, and presumably the entire world.
Bebop and Rocksteady are humans, and Krang is a powerless alien brain without a robot body (because without the Turtles to oppose him, Shredder never found the need to mutate Rocksteady and Bebop or to build a robot body for Krang). New York City/Shredderville and the Technodrome have seen better days. Poor maintenance has left the Technodrome a wreck in danger of exploding, and would likely take most of the city with it.
Shredder makes numerous public announcements blaming mutants for all the problems in the city so they won't blame his incompetent administration. April O'Neil and Irma are servants of Bebop and Rocksteady while Krang is a bureaucrat. When the Turtles confront Shredder, they find him to be overwhelmed by the problems of serving as administrator for the entire world and begs the Turtles to take him to their world, where he doesn't rule. However, the situation is grim when the Technodrome is about blow up. The Shredder runs away and the floor beneath the Turtles crumbles. They try to get back up and when the Turtles wake up they find out that it was all a dream. They are unsettled to realize, however, that all four of them shared the same dream.
Upon learning their lesson from the dream, the Turtles stop wishing they weren't around.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Zach (Rob Paulsen)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Shredder (Dorian Harewood)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Angry Mob Member (Cam Clarke)
- Rock Soldiers
- Dave the Disguise Store Guy (Townsend Coleman)
- Robot Receptionist (Renae Jacobs)
- Turtle Lair
- City Sewers (Turtles' dream)
- Dave's Disguises (Turtles' dream)
- Channel 6 (Turtles' dream)
- Technodrome (Turtles' dream)
- City Park (Turtles' dream)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles vs. the Fly
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 6
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 3
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- The Technodrome is a lot smaller in "Shredderville" than it is in reality.
- When the Turtles confront Shredder in his office Donatello is seen with his bo-staff on his belt in a couple of shots even though the Turtles weapons fell apart in the fight with Bebop and Rocksteady beforehand.
- The first shot of the costume store guy shows him without his moustache.
- Michaelangelo is seen at the end of the episode with no nunchucks on his belt even though it was his grappling hook that had broken instead,
- When General Traag and the Rock Soldiers pursue the Turtles outside the Technodrome, they are seen in the doorway with pink spray paint on them even before Zach had even applied it.
- Raphael remarks to Bebop and Rocksteady that they had already sent them to the cleaners in reference to the Turtles tossing them into the Channel 6 basement but they had already encountered the two afterwards before they escaped the building.
- Bebop and Rocksteady's stun laser pistols are drawn over-sized when they use them against the Turtles in their first scene.
- The sky looks polluted during the day, but normal at night.
- When Raphael and Leonardo are fighting Rock Soldiers on the stage, Leonardo has his katanas drawn, but after the commercial break, he draws them again.
- Bebop's boots were colored grey instead of black when he and Rocksteady lay on the floor after the ceiling fell on top of them.
- The ties on Raphael and Michaelangelo's belts were missing after Leonardo turned on the lights in Shredder's office.
- The Rock Soldiers appear to serve both Krang and Shredder despite, the pair of them severing their ties to each other.
- Shredder's skin tone flashes from dark to light when he runs away during the Channel 6 building's collapse.
- This episode is one of the few times during this series Shredder is pictured outside his battle armor. He wears only the helmet and face mask from his combat armor, and is clad in a business suit.
- Dorian Harewood voices Shredder in this episode.
- This is the second episode where Shredder was shown as a baby, at least in one scene.
- Obviously, the plot of the episode is a parody of the classic film It's a Wonderful Life where both the film and this episode have shown what the world would be like without their main characters.
- Interestingly enough, Splinter is nowhere to be seen in the alternate reality. One can assume that in this reality, the mutagen succeeded in killing Hamato Yoshi as The Shredder intended.
- Rocksteady: Lemme guess. You guys are da tooth fairies right?
- Bebop: Naahhh! Dere ain't four tooth fairies stupid! Dem's da seven dwarves!
- Leonardo: Bebop! Rocksteady! They're not mutants!
- Donatello: And they don't recognise us either!
- Michelangelo: Doesn't anybody recognise us?
- Rocksteady: Oh whoever you geeks are, You ain't welcome!
- Bebop: Yeah! You scared away our soiving goils!
- Michelangelo: April and Irma? Rocksteady and Bebop's serving girls? What a totally bogus concept!
- Leonardo: (to Bebop and Rocksteady) We happen to be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
- Rocksteady: Turtles huh? We like turtles!
- Donatello: Oh that's a relief!
- Bebop: Yeah! We like you for lunch!
- Shredder: Why are you mutants here?
- Donatello: To warn you to divert the cooling back to the Technodrome before it goes kablooey!!
- Shredder: I've only got two hands, look at all these repair requests! Everything is broken!
- Irma: Tell me about it, you should see my hairdryer.
- Shredder: You think being emperor of the world is easy? Ohh, it's giving me an ulcer!
- Donatello: Oh great! We wanna get back to our world where you don't rule!!
- Shredder: (jumping over desk) A world where I don't rule? (grovelling) Oh please take me with you, please!!!
- Raphael: You again?! We already sent you to the cleaners!
- Rocksteady: Yeah, well we're back again! Dirtier than ever! (Rocksteady fires off a succession of blasts from his stun laser, Donatello then uses his bo to catalpult himself towards the two punks but the weapon snaps in two and he lands at their feet)
- Leonardo: "I'll take care of them!" (he draws his swords but the blades fly of them and imbed themselves into the ceiling, Cut to Michaelangelo twirling his grappling hook above his head afterwhich the hook comes away from the rope)
- Michaelangelo: "What's going on...or coming off?" (Cut to Raphael drawing his sais, but the weapons become warped as he does so)
- Raphael: Even our weapons are falling apart in this world!
- Donatello: "What do you expect? It's Shredderville!"