The Dimension X Story is a season 4 episode of the 1987-1996 animated series.
With the Technodrome stranded in Dimension X and the dimensional portal generator broken down Shredder delivers a transmission to the Turtles to meet them at the South Side dump so he can finish them off but in order for his plan to succeed he intends to use the Dimensional Teleporter to suck them into Dimension X, the Turtles reluctantly accept his offer and head off to find him, April and Irma who have also watched the transmission head out to get April's story but Vernon also goes alone to cover a story for his new talk show. Just as the Turtles meet up at the dump, a large glowing whirlwind sucks Vernon into Dimension X along with April, Irma, Raphael and Michaelangelo, Leonardo and Donatello head back to the lair to try and get Donatello's portable portal generator working in time to bring the gang home, but will require a trip to Channel 6 to get a transformer to repair the portal.
The gang meanwhile manage to escape the Technodrome and from a gun toting Bebop and Rocksteady and are immediately rescued by the Neutrinos who also watched Shredder's broadcast and feared for the Turtles safety. Unfortunately they do not have a portal on their Starmobiles and are forced to break back into the Technodrome to use Shredder and Krang's portal instead. Their efforts to find the portal run into difficulty when they come face to face with a vengeful Shredder, During the furore, Vernon manages to sneak out of the Technodrome using a space vehicle to venture out into Dimension X in search of a story. The turtles throw Shredder, Rocksteady and Bebop into a washing machine and turn it on.
During Shredder's fight with the Turtles, Krang finds an intriguing discovery, he finds out that the mountain they're stuck on is in fact a dormant volcano and intends to use a series of explosions inside the volcano's crater to free the Technodrome.
As the gang manage to find the portal chamber, they find that it's broken. They also find out that Vernon is missing and Raphael and Michaelangelo head off to look for him where he is involved in a scuffle with some angry Dimension X miners in a local night club on another asteroid but April, Irma and the Neutrinos are eventually captured by Bebop and Rocksteady and brought back to the volcano where Krang intends destroy them in the explosion to free the Techndrome, Fortunately, the Turtles and Vernon show up in time to rescue them before the gang reposition the explosives to wreck Krang's plan and leave the Technodrome trapped before Donatello opens the portal and sends them back to the lair. Krang nearly relishes his victory but instead of freeing the Technodrome it causes a volcanic eruption which submerges the Technodrome in hardened lava leaving it stuck deeper than before.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michaelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Dask (Thom Pinto)
- Kala (Tress MacNeille)
- Zak (Pat Fraley)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Angry Dimension X Alien (Rob Paulsen)
- Vic the Video Store Owner (Townsend Coleman)
- First Channel 6 Technical Guy (James Avery)
- Vernon Fangirl (Renae Jacobs)
- Neutrino Starcruisers
- Technodrome Space Vehicle
- Turtle Communicator
- Portable Portal Generator
- Dimensional Teleporter
- Rocket Powered Pogo Stick
- Laser Feather Sword
- Explosive Devices
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 4
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When Raphael contacts Donatello to open the portal when he and the gang are in Krang's volcano, he and Michelangelo's colours are switched and he is holding April's powder compact Turtlecom.
- The news footage of Raphael and Michelangelo battling the Dimension X aliens shows Michelangelo with Leonardo's colours, which then flash back to his own as he dodges one of their attacks.
- Rocksteady is briefly missing his bandolier when he and Bebop toss the giant tire at Raphael.
- When April is filming the Turtles at the city dump, the '6' on her camera is backward.
- When April and Irma are holding onto the wall of garbage at the dump, April is holding her camera in her right hand and Irma's wrist in her left, but when the girls are seen being dragged into the tornado their hands switch.
- Raphael pushes his human mask on his face without taking off his hat.
- When the Musclebound Alien says "Get 'im!" Raphael is seen with Leonardo's colours.
- When Raphael is talking to Donatello when he's riding the Starmobile, the driver's seat is on the right instead of the left, meaning that this shot might be mirror-flipped.
- Oddly, this episode is largely written as if Shredder and company have not been causing any trouble for the Turtles since being stranded in Dimension X at the end of season three. Further, given that the episode shows how the Technodrome became buried in molten lava—something that has already been referenced as having happened as far back as "Super Hero for a Day", and many times since—it stands to reason that this episode was probably intended to serve as the premiere for the twenty-six episodes of season four that were produced for CBS, only to wind up being held back significantly, hence multiple episodes of both the CBS run, and the thirteen episodes of the season produced for syndication, make reference to the lava beforehand.
- The Dimensional Teleporter previously appeared in "Usagi Yojimbo". Shredder refers to this previous use.
- First time Vernon and Irma visit the Technodrome.
- Kala remarks that if the Technodrome got free it would be bad news for everyone in Dimension X yet nothing disastrous ever happened to its inhabitants when it finally left for Earth in My Brother the Bad Guy .
- The shot of Shredder saying "I've gotta get out of this bonehead outfit" was repeated earlier when he said that he'd find the Turtles just after Krang revealed to him about the Technodrome being trapped on it's volcano.
- The shots of the Turtles getting away from the tornado and Raphael yelling "Cowabunga!" were used in a CBS Kid TV promo for TMNT Season 6 in the 1992-1993 season. Before that, the shots of Michelangelo and Raphael sliding, and Raphael throwing the pogo stick-like machine was used in a CBS promo for Season 5 in 1991-1992.