|“The Making of Metalhead”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||November 27. 1989|
|Written by||Michael Reaves|
"The Making of Metalhead" is an episode of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series.
Meanwhile, in another attempt to destroy the Turtles, Krang has built Metalhead, a turtle robot with advanced weaponry, and capable of mimicking the Turtles' fighting skills. To finish the job, he needs brainwave scans of all four Turtles.
Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady arrive on the surface and start staging robberies in an effort to draw out the Turtles. April wakes the sickly Turtles and they manage to stagger up to the surface, where Shredder records their brainwave patterns before fleeing. The Turtles are confused, but feeling too ill to investigate further.
Metalhead proves himself an effective fighter against Bebop and Rocksteady, so Krang orders it to seek and destroy the Turtles. It surfaces in Splinter's room and easily shrugs off the ninja master's attack, before tying him and April up. When the Turtles show up to investigate the noise, they find themselves easily outmatched by Metalhead.
As they're dragged away by the robot, Donatello uses a Turtle Com to short-circuit Metalhead's mechanical brain. They drag it back to the lair to be reprogrammed, where they find that it sounds and acts like ALL of them in turn. With all four personalities, it's become rather schizophrenic.
Fortunately, Metalhead does warn them that Shredder is approaching the lair, and the Turtles are able to lead him away. Metalhead joins the battle, firing on Shredder and his mutants as they chase the Turtles. Bebop fires on Metalhead as they emerge onto the street, causing the old programming to conflict with the new. Now he wants to blast everything, including the Turtles.
April smuggles Donatello into the Channel 6 building so he can utilize a transmitted to stop Metalhead. Just as he's about to kill the other Turtles, Donatello manages to switch his newer programming into gear, causing him to only attack Bebop and Rocksteady. Shredder accidentally crashes into a cement truck and ends up covered in it.
Still sick, the Turtles retreat back to the sewer, and are miserable when they are told that April won't be waiting on them any longer. Instead, "Nurse Metalhead" will be.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Shredder (Dorian Harewood)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Metalhead (Cam Clarke, Barry Gordon, Rob Paulsen, Townsend Coleman)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 3
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- Bebop's comlink is a rectangular shape when Shredder contacted him during the lab break-in.
- When Bebop and Rocksteady attack Metalhead, the glass lid containing him raises up. But after he tosses them across the room and after the commercial break, the lid is down.
- April is shown sitting in a purple armchair near the beginning. Yet when a wide shot of the living room is shown, the chair is empty.
- When Bebop and Rocksteady exit the bank, their arms are full of money bags. After the Turtles are zapped, their arms are empty and the bags are nowhere to be seen.
- Bebop's stun laser rife is coloured dark grey instead of white when he blasts Metalhead.
- First appearance of Metalhead (not to be confused with Metal Head, the Justice Force superhero!).
- Dorian Harewood voices Shredder.