|“The Ninja Sword of Nowhere”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 Cartoon) episode|
|Original airdate||November 6, 1989|
|Written by|| Michael Edens |
The Ninja Sword of Nowhere is a season 3 episode of the 1987-1996 series.
It's National Sensei Appreciation Day, and the Turtles plan to buy Splinter a present despite their limited funds. They choose an antique ninja sword in a shop, only to be waylaid by Shredder immediately afterwards. It turns out that Shredder is seeking a piece of alien metal that Krang detected, and it happens to be the sword.
During the fight that ensues, Shredder gets the sword from Leonardo and cuts a hole in the fabric of reality. Michelangelo knocks him into it, but that only temporarily inconveniences him as he reappears with the sword on the Technodrome.
Splinter determines that they have to get the sword away from Shredder, so they have April fake a news broadcast declaring that the Turtles' lair has been found. Shredder, Rocksteady and Bebop all appear, but the sword gives Shredder a massive edge in the fight that results. Finally he drags Splinter through one of the dimensional holes he's cut, and leaves the rat mutant trapped in a limbo from which he can't escape without the sword. Shredder declares that he'll only free Splinter if the Turtles surrender to him.
The Turtles arrange another fake broadcast to claim that they are ready to surrender to Shredder at an auto junkyard. Donatello manages to immobilize Shredder with an electromagnet, but Rocksteady and Bebop drag him out and wreck the electromagnetic in the process, burying Shredder in junk.
Just then, an alien antiques ship appears in the junkyard out of another dimensional rift. They take the ninja sword before the Turtles can grab it, and start flying back into the rift. Donatello snags their ship with his grappling hook and attaches it to the news van, but the ship simply drags the news van, the camera, and the Turtles into the air.
Fortunately the ship travels through the same dimensional limbo that Splinter has been trapped in, so he leaps through the hole and accidentally knocks the Turtles and April to the ground. April laments the loss of the news van, even as the electromagnet lifts away a whining Vernon (who is trapped inside a car trunk).
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Michaelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael (Thom Pinto)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Alien Husband (Barry Gordon)
- Alien Wife (Renae Jacobs)
- Pawn Shop Guy (Pat Fraley)
- Transport Modules
- Channel 6 Newsvan
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 4
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 3
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When Splinter says "I have defeated you everywhere, Shredder," his mouth is not moving.
- Thom Pinto voices Raphael instead of Rob Paulsen.
- For some strange reason, the Turtles do not wear their masks when they are wearing their disguises.
- This is the first episode in the series where one of the turtles retracts all extremities into his shell. The second time was Big Bug Blunder.
- Michaelangelo: Foots up, Hand Soldiers!!!