FANDOM


  • http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Wanted-Bebop-and-Rocksteady/23437

    Who's excited to see Bebop, Rocksteady, 80's Shredder and 80's Krang return in Season 5?

      Loading editor
    • The 1987 TV series by Murakami-Wolf-Swenson should have been quietly and permanently buried.

        Loading editor
    • Gilgameshkun wrote: The 1987 TV series by Murakami-Wolf-Swenson should have been quietly and permanently buried.

      Why? It's not that bad. It's actually great like in Trans-Dimensional Turtles.

        Loading editor
    • I could go at length, but my reasons run a lot deeper, and it's an argument with only division and no real resolution, so I decided to keep my comment brief in that regard.

      But for now, I'll just say that...technically, this was the real 80's Shredder:

      Worm Shredder

      Sorry I couldn't find a proper black-and-white scan of this artwork.

        Loading editor
    • You mean the Mirage Shredder? I thought you're referring to the 1987 Shredder.

        Loading editor
    • Well, Mirage Shredder appeared in 1984 and was killed in 1989, so yeah, he's the 80's Shredder.

        Loading editor
    • Well, I like the 1987 Shredder and 2012 Shredder.

      1987 Shredder is not that bad but the 2012 Shredder is a badass!

        Loading editor
    • Well, okay, I'll admit 2012 Shredder was designed pretty badass, and he fairly well encapsulated the character template's destructive single-minded obsession with revenge...but his dialogue and character development were as wooden as a fence post. It was even worse to be one of 2012 Shredder's henchmen—that's where character development went to die a one-dimensional death. IDW Shredder was...so-so—more supernaturally evil across multiple lifetimes rather than individually driven to revenge. The way Kitsune was actually trying to groom him to become a vessel of an even more powerful supernatural being makes him interesting in an altogether different way. But 1987 Shredder is by far the single weakest-written version of the character—he's more like a cheap knockoff who was never threatening or badass, like a joke character.

      As for Krang (who was never a Mirage character in his own right), the 1987 version was the weakest version of that character too. At least Archie Krang was actually explicitly a warlord, and IDW Krang fleshed out the warlord formula even more, giving him drive and motivation and made him both sympathetic and a true monster. But overall, there are Utrom characters I like more, like Professor Obligado. I'm still waiting for more Obligado stories, and yet instead of that, we get multiple crossover stories involving the weakest-written version of Krang.

        Loading editor
    • Dang! For the incarnations of Bebop and Rocksteady,

      2012 Bebop and 2012 Rocksteady is really really cool even as humans named Anton Zeck and Ivan Steranko.

      1987 Bebop and 1987 Rocksteady is too idiotic, to be honest.

        Loading editor
    • Zeck and Steranko have certainly had their potential, that's for sure, but like with the rest of 2012 Shredder's henchmen, their character development went pretty much kaput when they agreed to serve him. But I think the best versions of Bebop and Rocksteady are IDW Bebop and Rocksteady, followed by Archie Bebop and Rocksteady. Archie's B&R are also idiots (perhaps even moreso than 1987's), but unlike the 1987 versions, they stopped being villains, and are now pacifists who retired to an Eden world to live out their lives alone together, occasionally returning to Earth for snack runs. And IDW's B&R got a huge boost of character development in Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything, which is one of the best TMNT comics arcs I've ever read.

        Loading editor
    • That's kinda big. Though we're talking about the crossover episode that's coming up.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I wasn't going to watch it. Just complaining that they're doing way too many of these 1987 crossover episodes recently. XD

        Loading editor
    • Gilgameshkun wrote:
      Yeah, I wasn't going to watch it. Just complaining that they're doing way too many of these 1987 crossover episodes recently. XD

      Tell me about it. After all it's Trans-Dimensional Turtles all over again.

        Loading editor
    • Well, like I said, my reasons run deep. I am very, very unhappy with how Viacom has been managing the TMNT property in general the past few years.

        Loading editor
    • It's not that bad.

        Loading editor
    • Well we already have better versions of everyone: The Turtles, Shredder, Splinter, Rocksteady & Bebop, everyone is much cooler in this incarnation. We don't need any more cross-overs for pete's sake!

        Loading editor
    • Fishface405 wrote:
      Well we already have better versions of everyone: The Turtles, Shredder, Splinter, Rocksteady & Bebop, everyone is much cooler in this incarnation. We don't need any more cross-overs for pete's sake!

      Aw come on. I like crossovers. Well sure it's going to be better than Trans-Dimensional Turtles but with 2012 Bebop and Rocksteady teaming with 1987 Shredder and 1987 Krang, it'll be interesting.

        Loading editor
    • Actually, I think Archie Bebop and Rocksteady or IDW Bebop and Rocksteady are the best versions of those characters.

      And for Pete's sake, 2012 Pete may have come first and inspired IDW's version, but IDW Pete has become a much better developed character, and 2012 Pete could have been this good if the production didn't seem to regard him as nothing but a nuisance to be crapped upon. IDW Pete has annoying moments, but he's warm and caring.

      And while I don't necessarily dislike crossovers, I dislike pretty much all crossovers with the 1987 series, because I can't stand the 1987 series. It's always been crap, and has never deserved its grossly excessive influence in the TMNT mythos.

        Loading editor
    • Anyways... Can we still talk about the crossover episodes?

        Loading editor
    • I'm anxious that the episodes come out 0_0 0_0 :O

        Loading editor
    • Angel Bridge wrote:
      I'm anxious that the episodes come out 0_0 0_0 :O

      You should be because next Tuesday the DVD is going to be released.

        Loading editor
    • REALLY!? ¡GOD! WHY TO ME!? I can't buy it! but well,anyways,i think i can wait more (not actually! :/ :/)

      Hey, a question : Are you North American? and... a Kid?

        Loading editor
    • Angel Bridge wrote:
      REALLY!? ¡GOD! WHY TO ME!? I can't buy it! but well,anyways,i think i can wait more (not actually! :/ :/)

      Hey, a question : Are you North American? and... a Kid?

      Well technically... I'm Filipino but I'm a man. And it's okay.

        Loading editor
    • ¡FILIPINO! I didnt expected that. Yeah,well... I was asking because I noticed you spoke (or "wrote") diferent,but I didn't know whether it was due to you were a kid or from another country. :)

        Loading editor
    • This was a fun way to end "Tales of the TMNT", which was basically always just the anthology bonus season. Now I of course have problems...er...ONE problem, that they didn't bring back Mutagen Man but LAMPSHADED IT just to torture us! Ah well, they had RIDICULOUS schedules with this show, so there's no way they could've done everythign they wanted.

      Also Gil, I love ya, but this show was ALWAYS inspired by the 87 show, and was always going to pay homage to it. Deal with it.

        Loading editor
    • Yoshimickster, Agreed.  It was a fun ending, and made a nice official finale for Tales of the TMNT.  Bebop and Rocksteady were hilarious;  will look forward to re-watching this arc in the future :)

        Loading editor
    • I honestly found Bebop & Rocksteady's arc to be a very fun ending, not to mention THE RETURN OF MWS SHREDDER AND KRANG!! Definitely worth anticipating. Though some parts could've been more fleshed-out...

        Loading editor
    • Asfaloth12 wrote:
      Yoshimickster, Agreed.  It was a fun ending, and made a nice official finale for Tales of the TMNT.  Bebop and Rocksteady were hilarious;  will look forward to re-watching this arc in the future :)

      Same here, pal. Definitely getting these eps on DVD, along with the tie-in figures. Would pick binge-watching this over the "Spew-tant Apocalypse" arc.

        Loading editor
    • Julian14bernardino wrote:
      http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Wanted-Bebop-and-Rocksteady/23437

      Who's excited to see Bebop, Rocksteady, 80's Shredder and 80's Krang return in Season 5?

      I AM!!!!!!!

      WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

        Loading editor
    • "Spew-tant Apocalypse"?  I like it.  It certainly made me want to spew after watching :)

        Loading editor
    • Asfaloth12 wrote:
      "Spew-tant Apocalypse"?  I like it.  It certainly made me want to spew after watching :)

      Thank you, thank you!

        Loading editor
    • Gilgameshkun wrote:

      Actually, I think <a href="/wiki/Archie_TMNT" title="Archie TMNT" class="mw-redirect">Archie</a> <a href="/wiki/Bebop_(Archie)" title="Bebop (Archie)">Bebop</a> and <a href="/wiki/Rocksteady_(Archie)" title="Rocksteady (Archie)">Rocksteady</a> or <a href="/wiki/IDW_TMNT" title="IDW TMNT" class="mw-redirect">IDW</a> <a href="/wiki/Bebop_(IDW)" title="Bebop (IDW)">Bebop</a> and <a href="/wiki/Rocksteady_(IDW)" title="Rocksteady (IDW)">Rocksteady</a> are the best versions of those characters.

      And for Pete's sake, 2012 <a href="/wiki/Pete_(2012_TV_series)" title="Pete (2012 TV series)">Pete</a> may have come first and inspired IDW's version, but IDW <a href="/wiki/Pete_(IDW)" title="Pete (IDW)">Pete</a> has become a much better developed character, and 2012 Pete could have been this good if the production didn't seem to regard him as nothing but a nuisance to be crapped upon. IDW Pete has annoying moments, but he's warm and caring.

      And while I don't necessarily dislike crossovers, I dislike pretty much all crossovers with the 1987 series, because I can't stand the 1987 series. It's always been crap, and has never deserved its grossly excessive influence in the TMNT mythos.

      While I agree with you on the whole "Pigeon Pete" topic, I kinda have to disagree with your stance on the 1987 TMNT series. Despite not being born when it aired (I got the complete series boxset for Christmas 2 years back), I DID NOT find it to be crap, I found it to be fun. And let's be real--without it, we would still have all 4 Turtles wearing red masks, and for most, that would just lead to confusion. I get that you can differentiate them by their weapons, but there are some people who wouldn't really notice that. Not to mention, parents would just think it's the same turtle, just repackaged with a different weapon.

        Loading editor
    • I have to say that I find it relatively difficult to read the early IDW issues because of the red masks. It was a huge relief to me when they switched to the different colors.

      Yes, I can (mostly) tell them apart by their weapons (except for the bare-handed grappling scene, where they have to awkwardly refer to each other by name - and even then I still found it confusing), but it takes me out of the story to have to stop and look at who has what weapon in order to figure out who's speaking to whom. This is especially true when the artwork gives them all roughly the same build and features, unlike Mateus Santolouco's artwork.

        Loading editor
    • Wingnut II,

      It's been some time since I last watched the 1987 series.  While I personally prefer the 2003 and 2012 series, it's still fun.  It got many of us into TMNT in the first place. 

      I also agree with the colored masks.  The different colors seems to suit each turtle.

      Easol1

      Agreed on the red masks.  I had the same problem with those early issues (speaking of IDW, I really need to get back into reading those).  

        Loading editor
    • This was a good batch of episodes, don't get me wrong; but it's not one of the overall best and it doesn't make great finale (as has been proposed around here) material. The pros, from minor to serious, include KMR slipping nicely into the shoes of the 1987 Shredder showing his range not only as two different Shredders but as a VA who can go from gravely serious to really funny almost effortlessly, Shinigami (who you could've cut from this series and lost nothing) and her Foot mercs finally displaying some competence, the overall interplay between the villains and heroes of these different dimensions, and the balance between the serious and (mostly) the non serious as the story moved along.

      The major downside is that it largely felt incomplete. If they wanted to do more than be their own version of "Turtles Forever", they needed to get everyone involved in this. Where was Tiger Claw? Where was Xever? Why was even Rockwell missing? I couldn't stand the missing characters in "End Times" and I couldn't stand it here either. If they wanted to provide the closure to the Hamato vs. Foot rivalry that that episode failed to provide--and which would've really pumped up the proponents of this episode being the finale, then these batch of episodes didn't do the job. Plus, the doomsday scale in the final episode, in which the Technodrome starts to wreak havoc on the 2012 dimension doesn't reach the same scale as the great season finales of this series such as "The Invasion" and "Annihilation: Earth." Plus, there's also the fact that this season already tried to play with the doomsday scenario three times (the Kavaxas, WWC, and Halloween arcs) and they were all bad entries. So, from both a standard batch of episodes and a wishful finale standpoint, the episodes aren't as strong as they could've been. Like I said, don't get me wrong, these make a near 90 minute romp of fun but if there's one word I'd use to describe the "Wanted: Bebop and Rocksteady" arc, it'd be overrated.

        Loading editor
    • TMNTInsighter wrote:
      This was a good batch of episodes, don't get me wrong; but it's not one of the overall best and it doesn't make great finale (as has been proposed around here) material. The pros, from minor to serious, include KMR slipping nicely into the shoes of the 1987 Shredder showing his range not only as two different Shredders but as a VA who can go from gravely serious to really funny almost effortlessly, Shinigami (who you could've cut from this series and lost nothing) and her Foot mercs finally displaying some competence, the overall interplay between the villains and heroes of these different dimensions, and the balance between the serious and (mostly) the non serious as the story moved along.

      The major downside is that it largely felt incomplete. If they wanted to do more than be their own version of "Turtles Forever", they needed to get everyone involved in this. Where was Tiger Claw? Where was Xever? Why was even Rockwell missing? I couldn't stand the missing characters in "End Times" and I couldn't stand it here either. If they wanted to provide the closure to the Hamato vs. Foot rivalry that that episode failed to provide--and which would've really pumped up the proponents of this episode being the finale, then these batch of episodes didn't do the job. Plus, the doomsday scale in the final episode, in which the Technodrome starts to wreak havoc on the 2012 dimension doesn't reach the same scale as the great season finales of this series such as "The Invasion" and "Annihilation: Earth." Plus, there's also the fact that this season already tried to play with the doomsday scenario three times (the Kavaxas, WWC, and Halloween arcs) and they were all bad entries. So, from both a standard batch of episodes and a wishful finale standpoint, the episodes aren't as strong as they could've been. Like I said, don't get me wrong, these make a near 90 minute romp of fun but if there's one word I'd use to describe the "Wanted: Bebop and Rocksteady" arc, it'd be overrated.



      TMNTInsighter: You might be right...I'm actually considering doing a rewrite of these 3 episodes! Care to assist, idea-wise?

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message