Usagi Yojimbo is the thirty-third episode of the Third season of the 1987 series.
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 Cartoon) episode|
|Original airdate||November 13, 1989|
|Written by||David Wise|
|Supervising Producer||Fred Wolf|
|Directed by||Bill Wolf|
After the Turtles fail to return a rented video, General Traag suddenly appears in the street and attacks them... but they find themselves unable to touch him, and he vanishes into thin air.
It turns out that Shredder is using a teleporter and the dimensional portal to materialize things from other dimensions. He's also searching for something in Little Tokyo Town.
Curious about what Krang is messing around with, Donatello, reveals that he's been making a dimensional portal of his own. But Shredder uses the teleporter just as Donatello switches it on, causing it to tune into an alternate dimension of sentient animals - and the Turtles see the rabbit samurai Usagi Yojimbo facing off against three pig warriors. During the fight, Usagi leaps through the portal.
The Turtles find that his skills are too much for them to handle until Michelangelo throws a pizza at him (a fighting style Splinter acerbically calls "Slapstick"). But Donatello doesn't believe he can find Usagi's home dimension again because it was a "zillion to one fluke." So the Turtles introduce Usagi to their world, including to April and Irma at Channel 6.
Power begins fluctuating wildly in Midtown, and the teleporter deposits several Foot Soldiers on the street. Usagi successfully destroys them all, but wanders off. As the city is flooded with Foot Soldiers, Usagi finds himself at a rabbit-themed restaurant where he's mistaken for one of the waiters. When he gets the idea that his "brothers" are slaves, he attacks the restaurant's manager, and Michelangelo has to extract him from the place.
Meanwhile, Donatello figures out where the Foot Soldiers are converging: a museum in Little Tokyo Town, where there is a massive egg - referred to as Baby Son - guarded by a man named Obento. The egg is dropped into a massive smokestack, and hatches into a dragon.
The Turtles manage to distract the dragon with a grain elevator, but the food causes the dragon to grow further. Donatello, Splinter and Usagi manage to rescue Obento before the Foot Solders can drown him.
Obento retrieves a strange blue candle from his home, declaring that it's the only thing that can save the dragon from the city. Meanwhile, the military is gearing up to attack Baby Son, who has now learned to breathe fire. Obento says that someone needs to throw the candle in the dragon's mouth, and Usagi volunteers. The dragon immediately shrinks back down to an egg.
Checking on his attackers, Shredder is shocked to see Usagi among them, and Krang mocks him for blaming his defeat on a bunny.
Baby Son is put back in the museum, and Obento agrees to care for Usagi until Donatello can find a way to send him home.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Usagi Yojimbo (Townsend Coleman)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Roadside Game Guy (James Avery)
- Posh Restaurant Waiter (Rob Paulsen)
- The Rabbit Hutch Manager (Rob Paulsen)
- Obento (Pat Fraley)
- The Rabbit Hutch Worker (Cam Clarke)
- Turtles' Lair
- City Streets
- The Rabbit Hutch Restaurant
- Far East Animal Society
- Channel 6 Building
- Mid-Town Power Plant
|This article or section is incomplete. Some information regarding this topic has not been added. Please help TMNTPedia by finishing this article.|
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 3
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- When the Foot Soldier knocked Usagi to the ground, he was carrying both swords but when we cut to the next shot, only one sword is drawn.
- When Usagi and Leonardo fight, Usagi cuts one of Leonardo's blades. Yet when Usagi is complimenting their battle techniques (and the pizza), Leo has both blades intact.
- First appearance of Donatello's Portable Portal Generator and Shredder's Dimensional Teleporter.
- First appearance of Usagi Yojimbo in the 1987 TV series.