Some TMNT stuff was always meant for grownups.
What Goes Around... ...Comes Around!, the sole issue in the micro-series Leonardo: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, was published on December 1986 by Mirage Studios.
|TMNT Volume 1 > Leonardo|
|Previous Issue||Next Issue|
- Script & Pencils: Kevin Eastman & Peter Laird
- Inks: Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Steve Bissette, Michael Dooney & Ryan Brown
- Lettering: Steve Lavigne
- Foot Elite
- Foot Ninja
- Hamato Splinter
- April O'Neil
- Oroku Saki / The Shredder (Debut)
The story opens with Leonardo alone on the rooftops of New York City. We quickly find out that he's being pursued by numerous Foot Soldiers. Leo battles countless foes as he tries to make it to safety. The portion of Leo's tale has no word balloons and practically no sound effects.
As Leonardo battles his enemies, we see April, Mike, Don, Raph and Splinter making preparations for Christmas. Despite Michelangelo worrying about where Leo is, it's a warm and happy time. April and Raphael bring home a tree as Mike and Master Splinter prepare a hearty meal. Raph heads off to wrap gifts while Don and April trim the Christmas tree and sing carols. Raph tries to peak at the presents Mikey has bought, but Klunk (the stray cat Mike adopted in Michaelangelo #1) prevents him from doing so. As everyone enjoys the quiet time, Raph finally decides that it's time to go look for Leo, as the weather outside has gotten frightful and Leo has been gone for too long.
Simultaneously, things for Leonardo have gone from bad to worse. He's been chased onto a construction site, where he's confronted by a swarm of Foot Soldiers, no less than two dozen by the looks of things. To make matters worse, the Shredder is with them! Leo puts up a fight, but he is vastly outnumbered...
The remaining turtles have put on their gear and are preparing to head out in search of Leonardo when suddenly a figure crashes through one of the apartment windows! It's Leo, battered and bloodied. As his brothers rush to his side, Leo chokes out a warning, "...He's...back...the...Shredder!"
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Book IV, in color.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Collected Book 1
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection Volume 2
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Works Volume 2
- This story is continued from Donatello (microseries) #1. The story continues in TMNT (Vol. 1) #10.
- Donatello describes this as being their “second real Christmas”. Their previous Christmas with April occurred in Michaelangelo (microseries) #1.
- Raph does a “Bill the Cat” impression for Klunk. Bill the Cat was a cartoon strip character created by Berkeley Breathed.
- The turtles killed the Shredder in TMNT (Vol. 1) #1.
- The turtles last faced the vengeful Foot Clan in TMNT (Vol. 1) #4. The Foot were shown spying on April’s apartment in that same issue.
- Years later, Raphael will spiritually revision the events of this issue in A Christmas Carol.
- Leonardo will continue to be haunted by his defeat for years to come, as seen in Ghosts of Christmas Past.
- This issue also contained a bonus pin-up, “Training Exercises” by someone named Andy.
- This issue was loosely adapted in the 1990 film with Raphael replacing Leonardo and in the 2003 TV series episode The Shredder Strikes Back, Part 1. This was also adapted in the 2012 TV series episodes The Invasion, Part 1 and Part 2.