The original World Trade Center complex consisted of seven buildings, including the super-tall Twin Towers. All of these buildings were destroyed in a terrorist attack on September 11, 2001 ("9/11", 16 years ago), when two hijacked airplanes were deliberately crashed into the Twin Towers, resulting in fires that weakened both buildings' structures and soon caused them to collapse. Debris from the Twin Towels fell on the rest of the World Trade Center complex and nearby buildings, and 7 World Trade Center also soon collapsed. The attacks and collapses took the lives of 23 members of the New York Police Department (NYPD) and 343 members of the New York Fire Department (FDNY), along with thousands of civilians in and around the buildings.
The other buildings of the complex were damaged beyond repair and later demolished. The Twin Towers were never rebuilt, and their empty building footprints remain as part of a 9/11 memorial. Nine new buildings were planned and some subsequently constructed, most famously One World Trade Center, a new skyscraper which opened in 2014 and is even taller than the Twin Towers were.
- In the TMNT vs. the Mousers story of the Mirage Comics, Baxter Stockman threatens to destroy the buildings.
- In the episodes Enter The Fly and The Big Blow Out, of the 1987 TMNT cartoon, the buildings appear.
- The Twin Towers also appear in the live-action movie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.
- In one issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles volume 4 (Issue Needed), a newscaster likens the panic of the Utroms arriving to that of the events of 9/11.
- One bumper for the Ninja Turtles series on Nickelodeon features the Twin Towers in the background. Disturbingly, this bumper first aired in 2015; fourteen years after 9/11.